VrayProperties - Reflection Exclude - Cant Save

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayProperties - Reflection Exclude - Cant Save

So this might be a very tough thing to troubleshoot but wanted to bring it up. I am working on a big scene for an automotive client with many cad vehciles. I have one vehicle being excluded from another in reflection properties. Many objects are added since its cad.
    Now this is where I run into an issue. When I delete parts from the car I am excluding reflections of, now my max file will not save. It just sits there and is frozen. I am 100% positive its something to do with having all these objects in the exclude reflection properties list in the vrayproperties of the object.

I cannot share file due to CAD assets from OEM. I do not know how to setup a test scene since this is very tough to recreate due to data being unique. What I can say is, this is a problem I have had with several files with several different vehciles. So its not just 1 file, I am able to recreate the bug but when working with my heavy cad assets with many objects.

Wonder if this can be looked into? Thanks in advance.

Hey Sergey,
    For such cases I think sending an email to the support team will be the best and fastest solution .
    They could ask for the "dump" file ( task manager>process>right click 3ds max task > create dump file ) for example or any other way to know why it is freezing .
    also for such files that you can't share to 3rd-party they could sign NDA to take a look . if that's not an option, they can set up a remote access session to your pc to check what is happening with your scene .
    If none works then creating a simplified scene with the same issue will be necessary I'm afraid .
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
    Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by RedStar View Post
      It just sits there and is frozen. I am 100% positive its something to do with having all these objects in the exclude reflection properties list in the vrayproperties of the object.
      What makes you certain that is the case?
      EDIT: i ask as adding 5000 nodes to the reflection exclude of another node takes about 1 second on my pc.
      That's to write the exclude list, after which Max is back to standard performance for me, none the wiser about the exclusion list on the node. The file also saves just fine.
      If the geo you're using is however complex, with a modifier stack (or some nurbs turned to poly for viewport and render purposes only) then there may be a ton of overhead from Max.
      Last edited by ^Lele^; 03-10-2022, 05:16 AM.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
        What makes you certain that is the case?
        EDIT: i ask as adding 5000 nodes to the reflection exclude of another node takes about 1 second on my pc.
        That's to write the exclude list, after which Max is back to standard performance for me, none the wiser about the exclusion list on the node. The file also saves just fine.
        If the geo you're using is however complex, with a modifier stack (or some nurbs turned to poly for viewport and render purposes only) then there may be a ton of overhead from Max.
        Only reason why I came to that conclusion is when I manually removed the parts from all exclusion elements, deleted the parts that were on the list and tried to save file it saved no problem. If I delete the parts prior to removing them from exclude list it does not save.
        That is why I am coming to a colusion it has to do with the reflection list, because that is the only source of fixing the problem. Again I understand this is a very tough situation to troubleshoot, but I know what I am talking about, I am not just making things up and pointing my finger at Vray.

Also, its not just 1 node. I have 500 carpaint objects excluding about 3000 objects of another car. So its a lot of objects adding/removing at once.

But thats okay, if this is a pointless discussion this thread can be deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Max View Post
          Hey Sergey,
          For such cases I think sending an email to the support team will be the best and fastest solution .
          They could ask for the "dump" file ( task manager>process>right click 3ds max task > create dump file ) for example or any other way to know why it is freezing .
          also for such files that you can't share to 3rd-party they could sign NDA to take a look . if that's not an option, they can set up a remote access session to your pc to check what is happening with your scene .
          If none works then creating a simplified scene with the same issue will be necessary I'm afraid .
          Hey Nawras! Thank you for this Info man, greatly apprecaited and good to know they have solutions like the remote session!

Comment

Originally posted by RedStar View Post
            Also, its not just 1 node. I have 500 carpaint objects excluding about 3000 objects of another car. So its a lot of objects adding/removing at once.
            Yes, i added 5000 nodes multiple times, of different flavours, to multiple nodes, never had any of the issues you mention.

Again I understand this is a very tough situation to troubleshoot, but I know what I am talking about, I am not just making things up and pointing my finger at Vray.

But thats okay, if this is a pointless discussion this thread can be deleted.
            Don't be so sensitive, I implied nothing of the sort, and rather showed the issue is not with the V-Ray exclusion list per se' (meaning it works just fine with standard geo.).
            If you write on a google-indexed forum, you have to expect the info, and troubleshooting, will have to be treated as public, and useful to anyone else reading the thread, and it is in this light the tests like mine above are done.

What class is the geo you're adding? (select a piece, type "classof $" in the listener, press the keypad enter, read the result in the listener.)
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Yes, i added 5000 nodes multiple times, of different flavours, to multiple nodes, never had any of the issues you mention.

Don't be so sensitive, I implied nothing of the sort, and rather showed the issue is not with the V-Ray exclusion list per se' (meaning it works just fine with standard geo.).
              If you write on a google-indexed forum, you have to expect the info, and troubleshooting, will have to be treated as public, and useful to anyone else reading the thread, and it is in this light the tests like mine above are done.

What class is the geo you're adding? (select a piece, type "classof $" in the listener, press the keypad enter, read the result in the listener.)
              Hi Lele, Its not that I am sensative its just because I have posted several issues in the past with Vray and I have noticed comments similar to this where the issue is not vray, but then eventually after more troubleshooting it turns out it is.
              Since I am modifying these selections with VrayProperties and adjusting the options under vray properties creates or removes the issue, I can only assume its related to VrayPorperties. If I used object properties I would never bring this topic into a Vray group.

Now with that said. I did the class of $ and it is an xrefobject which makes since beacuse I am working with Cad files so all my assets in the scene are xref assets. Do you think there could be an issue related to that?

Comment

xref objects naively tested seem to work on my end.
                Open one such xref file, and repeat the classof command on a live piece of car geo, please.
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

xref objects naively tested seem to work on my end.
                  Open one such xref file, and repeat the classof command on a live piece of car geo, please.
                  Hello Lele,
                  I might be slightly misunderstanding the request. Are you asking for me to open the file with the issue and do the classof command? Just want to make sure I understand.
                  Also, just an fyi. I also did some tests yest with a bunch of sphere an boxes, I did same thing adding things to list and removing after adding etc, didn't have any issues with those shapes.

So its sadly something to do with my heavy cad files and the list, I am not very technical in terms of software scripting so I wouldn't even know what to think can cause such an issue, all I know is it comes from reflection exclusion under vray porperties and heavy cad files.

This might be a lost cause, not because of anything you or your team can do, but simply because its such a unique 1 off situation that really would be more time wasted trying to pinpoint the problem rather than me using a solution like I did by removing all objects from reflection exclude and then deleting, that did work and file saved haha.

I do appreciate you taking your time to try an help. If you would like for me to try the classof command on something specific and such I am still very open to continue doing what I can do to provide information, but just wanted to mention there is no pressure here since its obvoiusly a very limited issue and very technical from what I am noticing seeing as we both did tests with non cad and it worked just fine.

Comment

Yes, i meant for you to open one of the xrefed files and query the class of the node.
                    This is to help us narrow down the source of the problem: as it works fine with standard geo and xrefs, my theory is it could be tied to the kind of (class of) geo involved.
                    If the CAD data is live NURBS, there's a possibility the issue may go away if you updated the plugin used to load the nurbs in (that's the hope, at least.), but if it persists, at least we'd know where it comes from, and which developer to talk to should we need to.

All this is to avoid the other support methods, but if you're cool with the slightly longer lead time of traditional support, you can surely book a live session and our guys will figure it out.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                    X