Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [VrayProxy] Alembic file not loaded properly

Hello Chaos Team,

Since we move to a full VrayProxy/Alembic pipeline here in Capsule Studio we are facing many bugs we tried to solve to have a strong lightweight pipeline. You solve this issue (and thanks for that) : https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...lacement-is-on
    and that's great but i've prepared another scene because we are facing a strange issue with some models we've exported as alembic and tried to load in vrayproxies (explicit normal and non standard/quad topology).

The model is loaded with weird artifacts. The same abc source loaded via 3dsmax match perfectly the source model in editable poly. We can't modify the topology of those are models from manufacturers (too time consuming and we will loose explicit normals data). The issue is not present when exporting as vrmesh but since we use also Houdini/Maya/etc... we need a format compatible with all those softwares. You can see the viewport capture and render image here :
    Click image for larger version  Name:	render.jpg Views:	1 Size:	169.9 KB ID:	1169328 Click image for larger version  Name:	viewport.jpg Views:	1 Size:	237.1 KB ID:	1169329
    And the scene is here :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X5Q...ew?usp=sharing

We are using the Vray 5 update 2.3 ( 5.20.24 build 31788 ). It's the nightly build you've updated for us that solve the motion blur issue.

Thanks.
    Tony
    Last edited by tdugard; 05-01-2023, 02:15 AM.

Confirmed, and filed as VMAX-12906.

Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks ! It's possible, like you've done with the previous issue, to cherrypick the fix and add to a nightly build for vray 5 ?

Comment

I'd assume so, yes.
        I'll make sure to mention it, anyway.
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks a lot !

Comment

Hello chaosteam, is there any progress on this issue ?

Comment

Originally posted by tdugard View Post
              Hello chaosteam, is there any progress on this issue ?
              Yes, the available fixes are in the stable builds for both v5 and v6 as of tonight.
              It should be noted we managed to fix 2 out of 3 issues with ABC caches (Thanks mori4h!), and are still investigating what may be causing the third.
              It'd be great if you could try it out and see if you still have problems.
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Thanks, i'll try this version right now. But what is that third issue you're talking about ?

Comment

Unfortunately our problem isn't solved with the build you provided (31854) :
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	157.3 KB ID:	1171148​ ​I've tested it with the last one (31858 ) same issue :
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	1171149​

Comment

Originally posted by tdugard View Post
                    Thanks, i'll try this version right now. But what is that third issue you're talking about ?
                    The third issue is with a specific ABC cache that refuses to animate when modifiers are on top of it.
                    EDIT: we have a dev assigned for investigation.
                    Last edited by ^Lele^; 25-01-2023, 03:30 AM.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Hello, Do you have some progress on this issue ?

Comment

I added a new case which behaves similarly to yours to the pool, but it's being worked on still.
                        I'll be sure to pass on any news we may have as soon as they'll happen.
                        Lele
                        ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Ok thanks Lele.

Comment

tdugard What was the export path for the cache?
                            Did it come from Houdini or Maya?
                            Would you have the piece in its source format, so that we could analyze the export options that led to it?

Notice this isn't required, it's merely to ease the dev's work in tracking the source of the issue down.
                            Lele
                            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

The abc file was exported from 3dsmax 2023 with the standard alembic export from the mesh from the scene_file i've provided (the source model)

What do you mean by the export path ?

Comment

Working...
                              X