Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6.1 - LOG window is back and annoying as hell. Cannot make it disappear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.1 - LOG window is back and annoying as hell. Cannot make it disappear.

How can I make it disappear ? I tried setting as NEVER but it always re-appears and shows ALL errors.
    3ds Max 2016/2021 (Vray 5.005), Windows 10 64bit , AMD 32/64 Cores, 128 gigs RAM , 2X GTX1070 8GB RAM

Hi, probably your Log window is appearing as a floating window. You can dock it back by pressing the sign in the VFB. If you set it to "Never" in the V-Ray settings while the window is undocked and if you close it, it should not open again once a new render is started. However, it's recommended to have it at least in your VFB.
    Attached Files

Comment

yeah, i have had it undocking quite a few times, since getting latest..never ever had that issue before..seems a lot more sensitive.
      e: info@adriandenne.com
      w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Originally posted by dimitar_panayotov View Post
        Hi, probably your Log window is appearing as a floating window. You can dock it back by pressing the sign in the VFB. If you set it to "Never" in the V-Ray settings while the window is undocked and if you close it, it should not open again once a new render is started. However, it's recommended to have it at least in your VFB.
        THX
        Will try.
        3ds Max 2016/2021 (Vray 5.005), Windows 10 64bit , AMD 32/64 Cores, 128 gigs RAM , 2X GTX1070 8GB RAM

Comment

It works but when I start 3ds max or open another scene - it opens again floating - how can I set it so that it always stays in the VFB ? This issue is new with update 6.1.

Comment

Is there an error showing when the render starts? If yes, can you make a screenshot? That would help us to understand why the Log window is showing separately.
            Last edited by dimitar_panayotov; 28-02-2023, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Yep I get this annoying log window after turning it off to never show, why does it reset everytime to default open anyway? It's perfect in the VFB but floating around as well is very annoying. It's happened since 6.1.
              AMD Threadripper 3990x 64C Processor, 128 GB DDR4-3200 Ram, 48 GB PNY Quadro RTX A6000, ​Windows Pro 10.0.19045, 3dsmax 2024 SP3, Vray 6 Update 2.1, Vantage 2.3.0​

Comment

Just installed 6.1.04 and was very disappointed to see that this issue was not resolved. This is very annoying.

Comment

Hi. Are there any errors shown in the Log window? If yes, can you make a screenshot of them?

Comment

I have to add to this, the log window is pretty annoying, there appears no sure fire way of turning it off, why doesn't it give you the choice of Never? It gives you Error only, Error & warnings, Errors, warnings and info or All
                    AMD Threadripper 3990x 64C Processor, 128 GB DDR4-3200 Ram, 48 GB PNY Quadro RTX A6000, ​Windows Pro 10.0.19045, 3dsmax 2024 SP3, Vray 6 Update 2.1, Vantage 2.3.0​

Comment

The log verbosity and log policy are 2 different things :

1) The log verbosity is controlled directly in the log window and filters out messages with a level lower than what is selected.
                      It has nothing to do on how/when the log is created or shown.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	6.7 KB ID:	1175870

2) The log policy has always been in V-Ray for 3dsMax, under the Render Settings options - System (Advanced).
                      As stated in the tooltip, it determines the condition for showing the log.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	1175869

The log will be shown by itself only if the condition is met AND if the VFB is either not shown or not intended to be shown (ex: starting a new render with the VFB enabled).

Messages logged may not directly be caused within a rendering context, it may be due to something wrong we need to inform while doing anything.
                      You may even render without the VFB enabled, so again in this case we need the log to show when the policy condition is met.​
                      For example doing USD export which generates a warning for whatever reason will not open the VFB (and nobody wants that) so then the log will automatically be shown with the default policy.

You can disable it by setting the policy to Never if you don't want to see it within this scene.
                      The default being "Only on error/warning", indeed creating a new scene will automatically reset it as it is not a per-user persistent setting.
                      This setting has always be there with the former VFB and maybe was not working as expected during some time when the former console log was replaced with the VFB log.
                      Christophe COT
                      Software Developer - Chaos
                      christophe.cot@chaos.com

Comment

Hi Christophe.Cot, yes we apperciate they are two different things, for me turning them to never in the render settings is the problem, maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't stay never, it randomnly comes back on. I'm using Vanatge and Anima a lot recently so maybe one of those kicks it back in?

Thanks for your detailed explanation though

Jason

Comment

Hi Jason,

I'm not aware of any existing code logic intentionally forcing or resetting the log policy except on new or reset scene which basically reset V-Ray renderer to default state.

Do you mean you observe it to be changed while working on one and the same scene ?
                          If yes, can you describe in more details what you do typically to try to reproduce it here ?

Thank you,
                          Christophe COT
                          Software Developer - Chaos
                          christophe.cot@chaos.com

Comment

With MAX 2023 and Windows 11, nothing sticks for me; it is a nightmare!
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com
                            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Same here. Really annoying.

Comment