Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRayProxy object is deleting Overrides and Override Rules when switching cache file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayProxy object is deleting Overrides and Override Rules when switching cache file

Hello,

I am currently working on a project which involves using Alembic cache files of animated characters which have multiple clothing items on them. (Max 2023 and VRay6-Update1)

Loading the Alembic cache into a VRayProxy helper and using the Object Hierarchy feature by making use of Alembic Subfolders to only switch on specific items as a workflow is actually a dream come true.

But there is one catch:
    when I have set up a selection, EITHER by doing the visibility settings manually in the Outliner OR by using the Advanced Overrides feature below, and switch to another cache (e.g. from a walkcycle to an idle), the whole setup is gone, and I have to start from scratch, which makes the whole workflow extremely tiresome. It was originally meant for e.g. having a basic set of characters, and then copy them, load another cache into them for another animation and place them elsewhere in the scene. Now I would have to go through the complete selection/rule process as soon as I give them a new animation.

Actually I thought the idea behind the rules is just to make the whole setup a bit more independent from the loaded cache, because I e.g. can select certain items by wildcards, ignoring the prefixes of the characters, and thus make use of the same rule set on different types of characters with a similar naming convention. But this idea is now out of the window due to the rules being lost as soon as I switch the char/cache.

Is this just a bug? Or intended to be that way? Or is there a way to tell the helper to keep the rules, no matter what cache I am loading?

Thanks in advance!

I presume the behavior is expected. What's the issue with copy-pasting the rule after the cache switch (presuming the naming system is identical)?

EDIT: After a few tests it seems that the rules reset happens only in situations where the rules do not correspond to the newly loaded .abc/.vrmesh. There's a warning about it. Otherwise, rules seem to be correctly stored.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hermit.crab; 13-06-2023, 08:09 AM.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Actually, we have the issue logged (internal bug-tracker Id: VMAX-13289). Turns out I was testing with our internal nightlies where the issue is already fixed. In will soon be picked for the stable builds.
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
      X