vraytoon, groups, and layers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vraytoon, groups, and layers

i am doing a stylised job where different parts of the scene are highlighted using different toon outlines and shaders.

to do this i put the various objects on different layers and use include/exclude layer options in several vraytoon effects.

this however seems decidedly buggy, especially wrt stuff in groups.

if i have several objects in different layers (ie. with different toon effects) and those objects share a group, i get multiple toon outlines on them.. this is kinda understandable but extremely undesirable.

ive also got certain situations (unpredictable it seems) where i select a group, put it ALL on layer "toon outline style 1" but when i render i also get "toon outline style 2" on the objects, despite none of them being on the layer "toon outline style 2"

it also seems to be "sticky" in certain circumstances i have not quite understood... if i ungroup the stuff (problematic on the massive animated scenes im being sent) sometimes the multiple toon lines remain, even if the objects are clearly divided into layers. ive managed to fix this in most cases by deleting the vraytoon effects and recreating them.

basically its really flaky, and could do with improving. ideally in the next 2 weeks for my deadline

I think you may have included the group itself in either of the layers. Try moving all groups to a layer of their own, which will not be included in the VRayToon.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

would it not make sense to ignore the groups themselves in the vraytoon? they are not renderable objects.

also i still get issues when all objects, plus the group, are on a single layer, and simply being in a group, causes them to be affected by vraytoon which should not afffect that layer... i also have issues that continue to occur even if the objects are then ungrouped. however its unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
        would it not make sense to ignore the groups themselves in the vraytoon? they are not renderable objects.
        I'm not sure. I'll see what the devs think.

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
        also i still get issues when all objects, plus the group, are on a single layer, and simply being in a group, causes them to be affected by vraytoon which should not afffect that layer... i also have issues that continue to occur even if the objects are then ungrouped. however its unpredictable.
        Could you produce a scene where this is happening and attach it here?
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

of course i am now trying to create a test scene to illustrate the problem and it is working predictably. if/when i come across some odd behaviour ill send over a test.

Comment

Working...
          X