Display Correction in V-Ray 6 VFB keeps switching back to default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display Correction in V-Ray 6 VFB keeps switching back to default

Hi, I just switched to max 2024 and vray 6 and whenever I open an existing file or submit a rendering to backburner the display correction in the vfb switches back to the default srgb setting. I switch it back to none and it stays like that only during an active session of work. So even if I save a file and reopen it, the setting switches back to srgb. How do I fix this please?

I think I have found a solution that works for me, just need to do a couple more tests. I need to switch Color mapping mode to color mapping only which lets me use srgb instead of none, so that works for backburner too. I still don't understand why it switches on every file open.

Comment

No, this is still wrong because it only fixes what I see in the VFB but when I save the image it looks wrong unless I override the gamma to 2,2. Why does this have to be so frustratingly not user-friendly? Why not have just one place for color management settings? I have no idea what I'm doing at this point...

Comment

The display correction option should be saved in the scene. Do you have an environment variable set (namely VRAY_VFB_SRGB)? Share your installed V-Ray version build as well.
        Otherwise, why aren't you using any display correction?
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Sorry but I have no idea about variables. I am attaching what I found after some googling. I don't see any srgb variables there.
          I am on windows 11, 3ds max 2024.1, Vray 6 update 1.2 official release.

I did some more testing and it seems that the switching is somehow caused by Forest pack. If a scene doesn't have any forest pack objects, the display correction saves correctly but if a scene contains forest pack objects, the display correction switches upon loading the file. I am using the latest Forest pack pro 8.2.2. version.

As to why I am not using any corrections I don't know any more
          When I switched from vray 3 to 5 I just noticed that my old renders looked off with the default srgb correction and looked fine when I switched to None. We switched to gamma 2,2 workflow ages ago in a company I used to work for as soon as it became a thing and I pretty much kept my old files and continued working on them adjusting where needed. I am probably not doing things "correctly" but color management stuff remains a mystery to me...
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dejan_parovec View Post
            I did some more testing and it seems that the switching is somehow caused by Forest pack. If a scene doesn't have any forest pack objects, the display correction saves correctly but if a scene contains forest pack objects, the display correction switches upon loading the file. I am using the latest Forest pack pro 8.2.2. version.
            Did a simple setup with a forest pack object and the issue does not seem to occur. Mind if you send (or attach here) a simplified scene so we can take a look?​
            As to why I am not using any corrections I don't know any more
            When I switched from vray 3 to 5 I just noticed that my old renders looked off with the default srgb correction and looked fine when I switched to None. We switched to gamma 2,2 workflow ages ago in a company I used to work for as soon as it became a thing and I pretty much kept my old files and continued working on them adjusting where needed. I am probably not doing things "correctly" but color management stuff remains a mystery to me...
            ​Most likely you're applying the Gamma curve through the Color mapping objects instead. Otherwise, we've made the linear workflow work out of the box (with the default settings). Basically, there's not really anything to adjust.

Comment

Sure, I am attaching an empty scene with a single forest pack object. In fact, as soon as I create the object or even click on the forest pack icon, the display correction switches to srgb.

I have reported this to Itoo as well and they have managed to reproduce the same behaviour and are looking into it.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the provided scene. It seems the issue is 3ds Max 2024 specific. Logged (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-13543) for developer investigation.

Comment

Hi, are there any news on this issue? Also, the backburner switching to srgb is persistent even if no forest pack objects are present in a scene. Is there any chance you could look into that as well? This is making my whole workflow unusable after upgrading.

Comment

As a workaround you can set the color mapping setting to Color mapping only ( which is the default for vray starting from vary 3.0 iirc) and then the Srgb mode will show-almost- the correct result.
                    For saving make sure to set the output gamma to 2.2 /automatic ( which is the default starting from Max 2014 )
                    here is the maxscript to revert back to 2.2 as most probably you've changed it to 1.0 with your current workflow
                    HTML Code:
                    Fileoutgamma=2.2
                    -------------------------------------------------------------
                    Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
                    Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

Thank you Max but I already tried this. My gamma is set to 2.2 and even with color mapping only and srgb correction the result is noticably different and I need to be able to render old files.
                      I'm probably going to have to either readjust them or install max 23...

Comment

Thank you Max but I already tried this. My gamma is set to 2.2 and even with color mapping only and srgb correction the result is noticably different and I need to be able to render old files.
                        I'm probably going to have to either readjust them or install max 23...
                        How noticeably different? Is the Gamma missing or is it simply a difference between the sRGB and Gamma 2.2 curve (check this thread if yes)?

Comment

With the Colour mapping only option, the colours and lightness are completely wrong when viewed with srgb correction, they are correct when viewed with the gamma 2.2 correction. They are also correct when saved from the VFB with the gamma 2.2 override.

BUT, when sent to the Backburner, the gamma is not applied and the image is too dark.

Sure, I can add the correction in post, but this is not really the solution to the problem.

Edit: It looks like backburner is saving the correct image when I set Vray to Colour mapping and gamma even though it is switching to sRGB while rendering. But it is also giving me a lot of failed jobs and the "config file does not exist" warnings. It manages to render on the second try. I'm sorry, this is just very confusing...
                          Last edited by dejan_parovec; 25-08-2023, 06:11 AM.

Comment

What are your 3ds Max native color management settings? Sounds like the slave machines do not have access to the OCIO config loaded there.

Comment

Max is set to gamma 2.2. I'm actually rendering on a single machine but I need backburner for rendering views from multiple files over night. Also, I am using the "None" correction, not OCIO, my post in the other thread was probably misleading, sorry.

What I have found in my case is:

1. Forest pack changes the correction to srgb if used, and
                              2. Backburner also changes the correction to srgb while rendering, but it saves the correct image.

Comment

Working...
                              X