Too much highlights/burning near windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much highlights/burning near windows

Hi, when I use vray the area around the windows becomes burnt-out or over bright. I've always struggled with this issue,
    is there a way to make more sunlight enter the space without it making the windows areas super bright

please find my scene file attached.

Any help would be appreciated

kind regards

Niem

Have you addded a filmic tonemap in you VFB? You can also add an exposure node and pull down the highlight burn.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hi, thanks for posting. From your scene is this what you are trying to do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2023-09-04_13-02-01.gif
Views:	287
Size:	1,012.9 KB
ID:	1189847
      Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes that’s what I’m looking for, is there a way to affect just the burnt out areas around the glazing ceiling instead of the whole image. The highlight reduction & filmic filter affects the whole image and will make the fabric and floor finishes look different in the final design.

kind regards

Comment

is there a way to affect just the burnt out areas around the glazing ceiling
          Are these the areas that you refer to:

Name:	chrome_2023-09-05_15-51-29.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	1189948

You could use masks in the VFB and also one way to adjust only the area with direct lighting is by using the VRayBackToBeauty

With VRayCryptomatte mask you can add the exposure layer only to a part of the image:

Name:	3dsmax_2023-09-05_16-16-06.gif
Views:	243
Size:	612.8 KB
ID:	1189949

With VRayBackToBeauty you can adjust only certain parts of the composition like here for example the direct lighting:

Name:	3dsmax_2023-09-05_16-19-11.gif
Views:	241
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1189950

You can combine these method and gain really good control over your lighting.

Keep in mind that all of this is not physically accurate. You will gain best looking materials and overall quality of your final images if you think of it as a real life photograph.
          In a photograph you will need to add artificial lighting to this space. It is not normal for such a large room to be light only by this window. It will inevitably be dark in the middle or burned out around the window.
          Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for the help, will add some artificial lights, I’ll try the crypto and backtobeauty as well and see if it helps

kind regards

Comment

Working...
            X