BUG: IPR Crashes / Freezes 3ds Max when changing sun size a couple of times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG: IPR Crashes / Freezes 3ds Max when changing sun size a couple of times

Attached you can find the scene I created for this thread: Night sky - Chaos Forums

To reproduce (I tried a couple of times and it's consistent):

- Start IPR
    - Select the VraySun
    - Change the sunsize a couple of times. For instance go from 0.75 (how it's setup), to 5000 (I know it's too big but I think this is where the bug resides), then change it to for instance, 1, then to 2, etc.
    - Sometimes you need to change it a couple of times back and forward for it to crash but it crashes consistently.
    - 3ds Max either hangs (suspended according to taskmanager) or just completely disappears immediately

Edit: I'm on 3dsmax 2023 (latest), Vray (latest official), windows 10
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vizioen; 26-09-2023, 01:50 AM.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Hi, thanks for posting. I can't reproduce a crash in a new scene. Your scene crashes as you explained. I see you are using daylight system. Could you try to test with VRaySun on it's own?
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

The Daylight system is disabled and is only a driver for the sun/moon position. Deleting it doesn't change the fact that it crashes.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Ok, so more testing and in a new scene. The culprit is the combination with the VraySky being in a composite map. I tried the same setup as before, so not sure if it's with any combination in a composite map or this specific setup (Vraycolor in temp mode, in color blending mode on top of the vraysky, and this composite map in the background environment slot). Also the clouds are on, so not sure if that also has something to do with it. I'm not going to keep testing to see where it doesn't break, I'll let you guys take care of that.

Edit: couldn't help myself, it doesn't matter if there's something else in the composite or not, just a sky in the first slot is enough to make it crash. What does matter is if the clouds are on.

So in short:

3ds max crashes in IPR mode when a VraySky is in a composite map with Clouds enabled in VraySun. If you then change for instance the sun size (but I also tried with multiplier and it crashed as well), it crashes. But not always immediately, sometimes a few changes are needed.
        Last edited by Vizioen; 26-09-2023, 04:36 AM.
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

The issue is reported under VMAX-13612 in our system. Thanks for bringing this crash to our attention and for all the help. We highly appreciate it.
          Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
          X