Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purpose of small vrimg file when rendering / cancelled render.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose of small vrimg file when rendering / cancelled render.

Hi,

What is the purpose of the vrimg file that is created while rendering (resumable is not on). When the render is cancelled, the vrimg file, stays there. Why? Shouldn't it be deleted, as it has no purpose anymore?

The file that is left is quite small but varies and changes also during rendering, and depends I think on the resolution or complexity of the render elements (not sure, don't have time to test this). But if I compare with the file that is automatically saved to the history folder when cancelled, than there's just no image info here, maybe some VFB layers and render elements, but all the elements are just a solid magenta color.

Reason I'm asking this, is because these files (except for the finished files) really bother my sync to the cloud software.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Hello,

Thanks for posting. Could you share some more details like where do you set the output file from, do you use only progressive sampler for this case ? It would also be very useful if you could provide a sample scene for us to look into to philip.shounev@chaos.com. When it comes to the afore-mentioned solid magenta color - it's created in the beginning of the rendering and then it's filled with the correct data. So when there's no data in the channels, the magenta color becomes visible when loading the .vrimg file in VFB.

Best,
    Philip
    Philip Shounev
    QA department
    Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Hi, I'm setting output files in V-Ray RAW Image file dialog. Where I choose vrimg. I use the bucket sampler, but I think it's the same with progressive. I just had it a couple of minutes ago. I cancelled my 4K render after 2 minutes because I forgot something. Vray saved a 200 kb file containing nothing but magenta render elements. This file should have been deleted when I cancelled.

If you want a scene that means it's not normal for these files to appear or not to be deleted?
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

It's expected to have the output file without being auto-deleted. The .vrimg file is automatically created the moment when a bucket completes its calculations and it can be used later on for resumable rendering if needed.
        Philip Shounev
        QA department
        Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Even when resumable rendering is off? It also creates the files BEFORE any bucket is completed or even lightcache.
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

The output file is generated promptly and intentionally because it might contain valuable information. For instance, if the output file is not generated in this scenario and Light Cache is computed later, it would be illogical to lose the already calculated data without saving it to the .vrimg file.
            Philip Shounev
            QA department
            Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Yes but what's the point in keeping it, if resumable rendering is off? There's absolutely no use for it once a render has been cancelled, it won't be used anymore as it contains no information that Vray or Max will use. It will only prevent the completed file being saved without instructing Max to overwrite previous files. So another thing an artist needs to worry about. This file should be deleted.
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Another reason for always saving a .vrimg file after aborting the rendering is as follows - if you decide that you want to enable resumable rendering right after render abortion, then the already created .vrimg file will continue to fill up with the remaining data. Thus the sampler won't start from the scratch.
                Philip Shounev
                QA department
                Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Hello again Vizioen ,

A request has been logged for implementing an additional option for removing .vrimg files on rendering abortion (Internal bug tracker ID: VMAX-13650).

Best regards,
                  Philip
                  Philip Shounev
                  QA department
                  Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                  X