Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing XREF with Vray for 3dsMax 6.10.09 StableNighty Build

Hey guys,

We recently upgraded to Vray 6.10.09 StableNighty Build but since then we are facing big issues with Forest and Xref scenes.

I have a very hard time reproducing our bugs in simple a scene we have several issues ranging from a complete crash or rendering stops at the "updating instances" step and alter the scene right after makes it impossible to render again.

That last bug led me to think that there is something that changed between 6.0.08 and 6.10.09 concering Xrefs and/or VrayProxy

For the test I created a new Teapot and exported it to vrmesh

Created a new scene with a new VrayProxy with the previously vrmesh inside.

then created a new Xref object targeting the freshly created 3dsmax scene with the VRayProxy inside.

When I open it I have the Teapot in viewport but when I switch the version to pick the EditPoly and then go back to VRayProxy it disappear this don't happen on VRay 6.0.08

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xref_VrayProxy_Viewport_Bug.gif
Views:	266
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	1193849

Yes the Xref looks resolved and If I render it render properly but for some reason I don't think the Xref is really resolved.

In one of our test when we do the exact same actions the xref appear "unresolved". when you hit render the xref update to "resolve" and back to "unresolved" a the end of the render. (it make sense because the vray proxy is compiled only when you hit render, but this update could result in a crash at update instance when you have 100+ xref scattered in a forest of x units).

To me the xref can't resolve when it has a VRayProxy inside since VRay 6.10.09.

I know it looks a bit silly, but i'm trying to debug this since we updated the VRay version and to be honest i am running out of ideas on my end. Almost every of our scenes can't be rendered with our process since the last update. If I revert the version to 6.0.08 it works properly. (Of course we can't revert now because we were waiting for a bug fixes for an other issue).

I've attached the teapot scene too.

Attached Files

Thanks for the report. It's reproducible. I've logged it (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-13676).
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you for the promp reply!
      Do you think that this issue could lead to massive crash at the UpdatingInstances phase of rendering? We have big (very big) Forest objects with many xref referencing VRayProxy inside.

Comment

It could be related. Does it crash with the latest official build?
        If you don't mind, could you send the scene so we can take a look? Also, the 3dsmax_minidump.dmp file will be useful for debugging. It is created after a crash occurs and is located in the Windows temp folder. Send it as well and make sure it's a recent one (after the crash).
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hey, unfortunetly I don't have .dmp files when I say it crashed I should have said "the renderer stops at UpdatingInstances". Peter sent me the 61009_max2023_x64_32197 nighty build and it does the trick with this build. We had no problems with the latest official build regarding Xref but we were waiting a patch for this issue.

Comment

Working...
          X