X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fingers crossed
    Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Comment

Here is another example. The dark artifact on the left is caused by a very thin and long polygon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1195083 Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1195084
      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Does this also show up in IPR when zoomed in? For me it is only happening when the camera is further away and I render in highres. Or is it consistently there? Also, if the theory is correct then in V-Ray GPU the line should disappear (?)

Comment

We have gotten the same issue and narrowed it down to the long polys. Had to retopologize to solve it.

Interesting that it works fine in Scanline. Hopefully VRay can fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by JonasNöll View Post
            Does this also show up in IPR when zoomed in? For me it is only happening when the camera is further away and I render in highres. Or is it consistently there? Also, if the theory is correct then in V-Ray GPU the line should disappear (?)
            The line is always there. It does not disappear with GPU.
            Might be a different issue altogether, but at first I thought it was the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
              We have gotten the same issue and narrowed it down to the long polys. Had to retopologize to solve it.

Interesting that it works fine in Scanline. Hopefully VRay can fix this.
              I remember the thread, it was with Displacement, right?

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post

I remember the thread, it was with Displacement, right?
                Yes. You guys helped me figure it out.

I kept refusing to believe that long polys were the cause because most renderers have no trouble. But that’s exactly what it was! Since it was displacement the errors were very obvious.

Comment

Though displacement doesn't have that issue any more does it? I thought they fixed it....I remember topology being a real issue with displacement but it was years ago iirc.
                  https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

We tested this and it seems to occur in Arnold as well with geometry, which has thin and elongated polygons. We've logged the issue (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-13720) for investigation.
                    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Oh really, how did you test that? Because in my test with the test scene you can find on page 1 of this thread Arnold renders without any issues. It seems to be a V-Ray related problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	arnold.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1195178

Comment

By comparing your geometry to a regular plane geometry both assigned with the same shader and texture. Check the attached file.
                        Attached Files
                        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
                          By comparing your geometry to a regular plane geometry both assigned with the same shader and texture. Check the attached file.
                          Hi, if I take your provided file it renders correctly with arnold, no matter if its the original geometry or the simplified geometry. ​

Attached Files

Comment

With V-Ray as renderer, type the following line in a maxscript window, and with the cursor at the end of the line press shift+enter.
                            Code:
                            renderers.current.system_embree_on = false
                            This will deactivate Intel Embree, reverting to V-Ray's own raycaster.
                            The issue will be gone, but memory usage and performance will change.
                            If the scene is heavy with geometry, it could potentially have important consequences, so be wary of it.
                            The change saves with the scene.

We're still not sure if it's something in our code, or with Embree, and the devs are still investigating.
                            Lele
                            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                            ----------------------
                            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Perfect, this works! Thx!

Comment

Very interesting. I wonder if this solves the issues kosso_olli showed also.

In any case, good to know there's at least a workaround for it when geometry rebuilds aren't possible.
                                https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Working...
                                X