Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do VFB settings get saved in the max file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do VFB settings get saved in the max file?

I'm loading up an old scene to do some updates and my VFB layers are just the defaults. Is this expected behavior?
    Of course there is the possibility to save vfb settings to a file, but wouldn't it make sense to also save them into the max file too?
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Hello,

The VFB layers are saved in the Max file and are loaded when opening scenes.

Best regards,
    Yavor

Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Ok but mine haven't. Why would this be the case?

Comment

Hard to say without a scene
        Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Seems unnecessary to send an entire scene for this.
          The file was archived previously. I wonder if something is lost in the process.

Comment

Again - can't really say without looking in the scene. Are you sure it was saved with recent enough V-Ray ? You said those are old scenes - are they from V-Ray Next or even V-Ray 3 when we had the old frame buffer ?
            Do you see any messages in the V-Ray log ?
            Yavor Rubenov

Comment

They're only a few months old. Nothing in the log. I'll see how some of my other scenes that have been archived fare.

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
                Again - can't really say without looking in the scene. Are you sure it was saved with recent enough V-Ray ? You said those are old scenes - are they from V-Ray Next or even V-Ray 3 when we had the old frame buffer ?
                Do you see any messages in the V-Ray log ?
                Hi Yavor,

I think I have worked out what happened. I checked a lot of old scenes and they do have the VFB corrections in tact.

I suspect what happened with the particular scene I was using was I had saved the file, rit render, finished the render, loaded the layers from a previous render, then closed the scene without saving (as this layer load operation doesn't register in max's undo stack, and therefor one is not prompted to save the file when closing).

Is this expected behavior? Is there any way to force max to recognize VFB operations as a scene change?

Comment

What you describe sounds plausible indeed. We have it somewhere on the TODO list to mark the Max scene as modified when there are changes to VFB layers.. (internal ref. VMAX-13731).

Sorry for the inconvenience.
                  Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Working...
                  X