reflection of invisible object through refraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reflection of invisible object through refraction

I'm sorry for the complicated title. I'm kind of stuck with this, because I thought it would be much easier. I do exclusions of reflections/refractions all the time, I don't understand why it seems to work different in Vray 6. Or maybe I'm just very confused and it never worked like that.
    I have drawn a little schematic of what I'm trying to achieve, I hope you can follow it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	refraction.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	1195285

How would you do this? In words: I have environment outside that I want to reflect on various objects inside, but the environment outside must be invisible for the camera. The environment outside must only be visible in reflections on the objects inside.
    Naturally, I would just disable "visible in refractions" on the environment, so the environment becomes invisible through the glass. For some reason, if I do that, the environment also turns invisible on the reflections on the objects inside. I guess if something can't be refracted, It also can't be reflected? But why then have to separate options (disable reflection/disable refraction) if one will exclude another?

I also tried excluding the environment for refractions in the Vray Properties (trace sets) of the glass objects. Same result, the environment goes invisible through the glass, but also on reflections. It seems logical, because the light has to reach the objects inside to be seen by the camera as reflections, which it can't because the glass won't allow the light of the environment to refract throught the glass.

How do I get "only" reflections?
    I know I can do it in post. But I wish I could solve this problem at render time.
    Last edited by AEBI_VINCENT; 17-11-2023, 06:23 AM.

You could put the environment, presumably an hdr sky or whatever, onto a sphere as self-illumination, then make that invisible to the camera maybe?
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Originally posted by fixeighted View Post
      You could put the environment, presumably an hdr sky or whatever, onto a sphere as self-illumination, then make that invisible to the camera maybe?
      That's what I tried. "Invisible to camera" will still show up through refraction/glass though, so that's out of the question.

Comment

Yeah sorry, don't know what I was thinking tbh...just put some IKEA stuff together so that probably dulled my senses for a while
        https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Unless I'm missing something here, but why don't you just set domelight to invisible? Edit: or we're not talking about an HDRi?
          Last edited by Vizioen; 17-11-2023, 08:21 AM.
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
            Unless I'm missing something here, but why don't you just set domelight to invisible? Edit: or we're not talking about an HDRi?
            I do have a HDRI Dome for the Gi and basic reflection, but I need very specific reflections on very reflective objects. I created textures in photoshop and put them as VrayBitmaps on planes. These planes are positioned around the scene, where they are nicely reflected where i need them. Now I just need a way to make them invisible through glass

Comment

I think (if I understand correctly of what you are trying to achieve) then you could exclude the reflection of the window from the sphere. This way the things behind the window would not show up in the sphere as a refraction but a reflection instead. Then you can just disable the visibility in refraction for the red box.
              Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Comment

I just checked, it does work
                Attached Files
                Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by JonasNöll View Post
                  I just checked, it does work
                  It actually works! Good thinking, thank you very much for your help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	justworks.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1195392

Comment

Working...
                  X