Frame Buffer Layer Effects Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Buffer Layer Effects Issue

In the latest Vray something seems to have changed from the previous version.

I render an interior arch viz scene. The view thru a patio door shows an exterior deck railing. I have the scene exposed for inside but the outside is, understandably, over exposed.

To compensate for this, i the past I would add an Exposure Layer Effect in the VFB and using Cryptomatte Mask I wold select the rail material and reduce the exposure. Always worked great.

Now, it seems that the Layer Effect does not work on objects that are seen thru glass.

This is an unfortunate problem that did not exist in the past. Can this be fixed?

Thanks!
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

I have never tried this but does it work if you set refraction to Affect All Layers, rather than the default Color Only?

Or did something indeed change?

Comment

Hello,

Could you share a scene reproducing the issue ?

Best regards,
      Yavor
      Yavor Rubenov
      V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Hello Yavor. I will share a scene as soon as I have time. Will likely put it in a drop box or google drive and provide a link to the file. Can I send the link to you via PM or some other private method? Thanks!
        mark f.
        openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Best to send it to our support. They will take care to download it privately and get it to me.
          Yavor Rubenov
          V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Hi Mark,

Thanks the the files! I see that the glass window material need to be edited in your project file to work later in the compositing. The refraction channels (window material) should be set to Affect All Channels instead of Color and alpha only, and this will make the selection mask with exposure work again.
            Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Post Number 2 above

Comment

Thanks to you both..and esp to Joelaff. My apology for not first checking that "Affect All Layers" was being used in refraction parameters.

I learned to enable that for window glass some years ago (before the VFB layer effects were available) thru a time consuming trip down a rabbit hole.

I saved the window glass material into my Vray Materials Library and always used it from then on.

I have windows with the glass material saved in a library that I re-use on all projects.

SOMEHOW..due to user error, I merged in an older window, with the older glass material still on it. So, I was sure I had "Affect All Layers" chosen but in fact.... did not. Should have double checked.

Now I have learned the same lesson for a second time. Thanks for your help!
                mark f.
                openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Working...
                X