camera resolution override appears to not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camera resolution override appears to not work

i have the latest update 2 vray-6 and using GPU.

i set resolution override in my camera to be 7680x4320 and the 3ds max render size to be 768x432.

when i hit the vray render production button, the frame buffer opens up and says "100% of 768x432". (just need a single frame, no animation)

i was attempting to use this in order to save some vram.

anyone else having issues?

First did you enable auto update in the Camera? So it updates Max' resolution settings?

Second how are you going to save RAM with this approach? The camera overwrites the default render settings' resolution. What I think you're trying to do is, override Max's resolution (and set the VFB resolution settings). The thing, is the VrayCam changes Max' resolution, not the VFB resolution settings.

What you're really after I think is this pre/post render script that I wrote: Maxscript to disable/enable "Get Resolution from Max" - Chaos Forums

Before it renders, it checks Max' resolution, it then takes this resolution and sets it in the VFB settings and enables get resolution from max and puts the smallest simplest form in the original Max's settings, so Max Frame Buffer is as small as possible. After the render it reverts to the old settings.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

yes, i thought that when it was first released, one use of it (and i'm sure i did it!) was to set max's render to something tiny but same aspect ratio, then resolution override. it would save the vram from max's built in frame buffer. perhaps that's all changed. i'lll check that script out. i wondered why i saw "auto update" in recent releases (maybe it was there earlier but i didn't care/use) because it seemed to me that it's not what you want when setting a tiny max frame buffer to save vram.

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
      First did you enable auto update in the Camera? So it updates Max' resolution settings?

Second how are you going to save RAM with this approach? The camera overwrites the default render settings' resolution. What I think you're trying to do is, override Max's resolution (and set the VFB resolution settings). The thing, is the VrayCam changes Max' resolution, not the VFB resolution settings.

What you're really after I think is this pre/post render script that I wrote: Maxscript to disable/enable "Get Resolution from Max" - Chaos Forums

Before it renders, it checks Max' resolution, it then takes this resolution and sets it in the VFB settings and enables get resolution from max and puts the smallest simplest form in the original Max's settings, so Max Frame Buffer is as small as possible. After the render it reverts to the old settings.

Comment

This trick will only save you regular CPU RAM. For VRAM you might try the Compressed textures mode.
        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

Working...
        X