Light Texturemap Preview Tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Texturemap Preview Tweaks

I wonder if the light texturemap preview should be disabled in wireframe mode... I think it should be. It gets in the way there.

Also it would be nice if we could get this to default to OFF. It is an awesome feature when needed, but I would rather just turn it on when I need it.

Also, these preview do not work correctly with image sequences. They seem to always show the first frame of a sequence-- or perhaps the first frame loaded into memory (if you are displaying a different frame when you first link the map to the link).

It would also be helpful if the textmap preview could be enabled and disabled from the Light Lister.

Thanks.

Hi,
    "I wonder if the light texturemap preview should be disabled in wireframe mode... I think it should be. It gets in the way there." - This is registered in our system under VMAX-13809.

"Also it would be nice if we could get this to default to OFF. It is an awesome feature when needed, but I would rather just turn it on when I need it." - why would you like this one to be set as Off by default? By being On it will show you the result in the viewport immediately after you load the texture. And you will be ready to start tweaking it. If it's off you have to click the checkbox first just to see the texture you just loaded for the first time. After the adjustments are done, you could always set it as Off.

"Also, these preview do not work correctly with image sequences. They seem to always show the first frame of a sequence-- or perhaps the first frame loaded into memory (if you are displaying a different frame when you first link the map to the link)." - We could see if this is possible. This is registered in our system under VMAX-13808. I can't promise anything.

"It would also be helpful if the textmap preview could be enabled and disabled from the Light Lister." - this is possible now.

Thanks. Dimitar

Comment

I suppose there could be two schools of thought on whether or not to have them on by default. They are a cool feature, and something I have wanted for a long time. But I am finding I only use them on rare occasion. I typically know what my light texture looks like from the Slate preview, and just need to turn them on every once in a while when I get confused.The thing is that they get in the way of seeing things. We normally have lights close to the subject (esp for macro stuff), and the texture previews completely obscure the objects.

Ideally there would be a setting to enable by default, or at least an environment variable. Otherwise I guess I have to bind a hotkey to a script to turn them off.

"It would also be helpful if the textmap preview could be enabled and disabled from the Light Lister." - this is possible now.​

Oh, nice! Lots of goodies in the display options. I had missed that. Good-- so that way we can disable things rarely used like Caustics settings.

Comment

Originally posted by dimitar_panayotov View Post
        Hi, why would you like this one to be set as Off by default?
        Hello, I am also looking for a way to turn it off be default. I have a lot of scenes with lights in front of cameras, or the camera moving around, and the lights are now constantly get in the way. Just about every old scene I open up I have to click multiple lights and turn this off. A global OFF would be a great time saver!

Comment

Hi, 3ds Max 2024 allows you to set the default state of the checkbox. If you use Max 2024 you could use this feature to control it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, I'm stuck on 2023 for a bit, but when I upgrade I'll definitely do this.

Comment

Working...
            X