Embree calculation crashes Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embree calculation crashes Max

I'm currently working on a huge scene with millions of Forest Pro trees, grasses, bushes and of top of that lot of geometry, displacement, all the things that require a lot of memory.
    While preparing the scene Vray starts building Embree static accelerator and uses all of my memory (jump from 30Gb to 192 Gb) and that crashes it. My question is: Is there any way that I can control Embree, primarily how much memory to use. Id rather not use it at all and render slower than use it and have a crash.

Thanks

Z.​

Hi, thanks for posting. What versions of 3ds Max and V-Ray are you using? With the latest versions Embree can not be controlled from the UI. It is very likely that you have some other issue that triggers wrong utilisation of the memory. Please archive your scene and send it for review.
    It is best to use the support contact form for this operation since the limit for file transfer is much larger there (100Gb if I remember correctly). Also if your scene is confidential it will stay like that. Please include a link to this thread in your e-mail for easier tracking (this will make our day a tiny bit better).
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

HI Vladimir,

Thanks for your quick reply. Good news is I figure out what was causing the problem.
      Tree objects that I used were VrayProxies from our library made long time ago with vray v.3.x. I just made new VrayProxies with latest Vray (v.6.x) and all was good. Embree used only about 5 Gb
      It might be somehow connected to the old problem years ago when using old version VrayProxy instances would take a long time to unload from memory

Regards
      Z

Comment

Great news! Thanks for the update.
        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X