Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground shadows are rendering irrespective of the setting

On Vray Version 6.20.02 with 3dsmax 2024.2 Update
    The ground shadows are rendering even if the setting to turn ground shadows is turned off.

This might not be the case with the previous version but I haven't tested it.

Hi, thanks for posting.

The ground shadows are rendering even if the setting to turn ground shadows is turned off.
    Are you using a VRayMtlWrapper? Please explain your setup in a bit more details and if possible with screengrabs.

Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

vladimir_krastev it a simple setup using just a Vray Sun with a Vray Sky in the Environment Map.
      I am animating the Clouds Offset X.
      No there are no VrayMtlWrappers I have just "noisy planes" for a beach.

The only thing that turns off the clouds shadows is turning off the clouds.
      The image below show on the Left Clouds with ground shadows turned off and on the right the clouds turned off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	105
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1198985

Comment

Hi, thanks for posting. This setup seems to work on my end:

Name:	vantage_2024-01-08_17-27-51.gif
Views:	83
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1199212
        https://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/s...8_17-27-51.gif

Please go through your project and check all settings again. If you can't manage to fix the issue on your own, send us the scene here.
        You can also send it using the support contact form. In this case please add a link to this thread in your message to support.

Comment

If I recall you have to duplicate your sun and use one sun for the clouds and another without clouds for your lighting. If atmospheric shadows is off then it still casts shadows across the entire sun based on the average cloud cover (or something like that). There is a thread or two about this.

Comment

This should solve it... https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...93#post1174593
            www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

dlparisi thanks I will try this. I didn't realise that a work around was required or that the clouds isn't implemented within the sky map as yet.

Comment

Hi, I see what you mean now. If you increase the clouds density above 0.5 the ground plane looks dark. This is not due to the ground shadows and that is why it is not affected by the ground shadows checker.
                If you reduce the density multiplier and the thickness then the ground shadows start to appear:

Name:	3dsmax_2024-01-09_11-53-45.gif
Views:	69
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	1199305
                https://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/s...9_11-53-45.gif

Comment

Working...
                X