Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cam-Light lister keeps resetting

Hi,

As title says, the lister keeps resetting itself. I've saved how I want to menu's to be setup. I close the light lister. Re-open it with the toolbar button and everything is back to the original settings.....aaaaarrrghhhh. Am I missing a setting somewhere to fix it? Otherwise is there a way to re-activate the old one? It's pretty pointless for us at the moment in it's current state.

Thanks!

EDIT:

And now it is opening with the saved setting. I literally just checked it to make sure before posting..... Anyway, does it save the setup to the max file? Or do you need to reload the save file setting everytime a new session of max is started / a new file is opened? The second one is what it feels like as I seem to be setting this menu up every single day.

The question still stands regarding activating the old one, is that possible?

EDIT 2:

See, I'm not going crazy! Currently doing lighting tests and closed and reopened the lister and the settings have reset again. FFS.
    Last edited by dean_dmoo; 30-01-2024, 01:12 AM.

I can't seem to reproduce the issue. The loaded settings seem to be working as expected. They are also saved for the particular 3ds max version (not saved scene). Maybe there's trouble accessing the .vrlst file on your system? Is it saved locally or on a network?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
      I can't seem to reproduce the issue. The loaded settings seem to be working as expected. They are also saved for the particular 3ds max version (not saved scene). Maybe there's trouble accessing the .vrlst file on your system? Is it saved locally or on a network?
      It's saved on the network. What is the recommended workflow? We use template files for everything, so I would think that if we saved the settings within those files (with the vrlst locally in the 3ds max program files folder) that would mean we always load the correct settings. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by dean_dmoo View Post
        I would think that if we saved the settings within those files (with the vrlst locally in the 3ds max program files folder) that would mean we always load the correct settings. Is that correct?
        It was just a guess. Try testing the VRayLister's behavior when the .vrlst is saved locally for starters.

Comment

But how do you guys do it? I'm assuming you don't set it up everything time you start a new project/file?

Comment

We do not advocate for a certain way of doing this particular procedure - it depends on your organization's needs. Sharing templates is a reasonable way of doing it. That being said, I tested both on network and locally and the lister's preferences are loaded as expected (they are present on opening 3ds max automatically). The thing is, I wish to narrow down the issue, hence why I asked you to test loading the .vrlst file locally. If it loads correctly, then there may be a conflict when opening the preference file from multiple people f.e., which we will troubleshoot additionally.

Comment

Okay, it seems there is indeed a certain workflow to make the VRayLister's preset load automatically:

1. Create a preset (you've already done this and stored it in your organization's network)
              2. Open 3ds Max and load the preset
              3. Save the scene - this is important since doing so tells V-Ray to save the loaded preset locally as well. The duplicated preset is located in the ENU folder here:
              Code:
              C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2024 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vraylisteruser.vrlst
              4. Now every time you open a new scene the .vrlst file in the ENU folder will be loaded.

EDIT: We'll update the VRayLister's docs page so that includes this info.
              Last edited by hermit.crab; 07-02-2024, 02:46 AM.

Comment

That's great, thanks for figuring it out!

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
                  Okay, it seems there is indeed a certain workflow to make the VRayLister's preset load automatically:

1. Create a preset (you've already done this and stored it in your organization's network)
                  2. Open 3ds Max and load the preset
                  3. Save the scene - this is important since doing so tells V-Ray to save the loaded preset locally as well. The duplicated preset is located in the ENU folder here:
                  Code:
                  C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2024 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vraylisteruser.vrlst
                  4. Now every time you open a new scene the .vrlst file in the ENU folder will be loaded.
                  I'm still a bit confused about this. When exactly does the local vraylisteruser.vrlst get written? Given the instructions above it seems like any time I load a preset (even for a different project) it's going to overwrite the local vraylisteruser.vrlst file with that preset once I do a save, potentially overwriting any "default" that I'm trying to set.
                  www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                    I'm still a bit confused about this. When exactly does the local vraylisteruser.vrlst get written?
                    It gets saved when closing the VRayLister window. We've logged an improvement request to rewrite the file upon loading a preset too (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-13962).​

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                    Given the instructions above it seems like any time I load a preset (even for a different project) it's going to overwrite the local vraylisteruser.vrlst file with that preset once I do a save, potentially overwriting any "default" that I'm trying to set.
                    That's right. So what you would ideally want is to have a default preset, which even if you modify V-Ray will fall back to upon restarting 3ds Max?

Comment

Working...
                    X