UVWRandomizer + VRayEnmesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVWRandomizer + VRayEnmesh

I am having trouble using UVW Randomizer and VRayEnmesh together. For a small number of repetitions its fine, but very quickly, it seems to begin repeating the random sequence, creating pretty bad patterns. The sample below is a bunch of individual tiles, created using enmesh on a surface. UVWRandomizer is plugged into the diffuse map and randomizing by Particle ID. I've also gotten the same results randomizing by Instance ID. You can see it randomizing in the X direction for a bit but it kind of gives up at a certain point and then starts repeating. If I take this same material and apply it to individually modeled tiles, everything is fine and it behaves as expected. What am I doing wrong or is this a bug?

Hello,

The issue probably derives from stretched UV coordinates of the base geometry on which the enmesh modifier is applied. I would suggest adding a UVW mapping or UnwrapUVW modifier to the base geometry in order to pass the right coordinates to VRayEnmesh.

Best regards,
    Philip
    Last edited by Philip Shounev; 15-02-2024, 04:25 AM.
    Philip Shounev
    QA department
    Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Shounev View Post
      Hello,

The issue probably derives from stretched UV coordinates of the base geometry on which the enmesh modifier is applied. I would suggest adding a UVW mapping or UnwrapUVW modifier to the base geometry in order to pass the right coordinates to VRayEnmesh.

Best regards,
      Philip
      The base object has a UVW map on it.

Comment

Could you send a scene sample to philip.shounev@chaos.com for a closer look ?
        Philip Shounev
        QA department
        Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Thank you for providing a scene sample. Couple of things need to be done in order to achieve proper rendering result:
          1. You need to select the UVW mapping under the enmesh modifier and press "Fit", then the highest value should be copied as Length, Width and Height values. This way stretched UVs due to geometry proportions will be avoided.
          2. Finally with Tiling U / Tiling V values of the enmesh the needed scale of its instancies can be refined
          Last edited by Philip Shounev; 23-02-2024, 06:13 AM.
          Philip Shounev
          QA department
          Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Shounev View Post
            Thank you for providing a scene sample. Couple of things need to be done in order to achieve proper rendering result:
            1. You need to select the UVW mapping under the enmesh modifier and press "Fit", then the highest value should be copied as Length, Width and Height values. This way stretched UVs due to geometry proportions will be avoided.
            2. Finally with Tiling U / Tiling V values of the enmesh the needed scale of its instancies can be refined
            Philip, Thanks for looking at that file. If you apply those settings as you state to the file it does not change the result. The distortion is the same.

Comment

I'm attaching several screenshots for better clarification of the suggested approach:
              1. Select UVW Mapping modifier and press "Fit". Then the length value will be changed (using the largest dimension of the geometry for which we apply the enmesh)
              2. Copy the Length value and paste it in Width and Height fields. This approach helps to avoid stretched UVs of the used texture
              3. Go to VRayEnmeshMod and set Tiling U / Tiling V values in order to refine the needed scaling
              Click image for larger version

Name:	screengrab_1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1202969Click image for larger version

Name:	screengrab_2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1202970Click image for larger version

Name:	screengrab_3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1202971
              Philip Shounev
              QA department
              Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Ah, I see what you're saying. I was adjusting the settings in enmesh directly instead of the UVW. As a feature request I would say that this method makes precise layout very difficult. For things like tile surfaces where alignment needs to be exact it would be great to have a better way to control layout. Thanks for taking time to walk me through it though!

Comment

VRayEnmesh's layout depends entirely on the mapping of the geometry. When it comes to an easier way to achieve exact results with it, our developers are investigating if there's another more optimal solution.
                  Philip Shounev
                  QA department
                  Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                  X