Vray Decal Gradient ramp opacity issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Decal Gradient ramp opacity issue

I am using a vray decal. I have imported a map from Quixel Bridge. One of the mud splats.

I am trying to graduate the opacity using a gradient ramp but it only delivers a harsh cut of the decal...not a gradual reduction to zero opacity. Any ideas where I am going wrong?
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Hi, it seems to work in a simple scene.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2024-03-14_16-17-39.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	1204490
    Could you share a bit more detail about your application? It will be best if you use screengrabs or a scene to illustrate your workflow.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Sure. I have a decal placed over the side of a vehicle as shown in the image. I've then applied a gradient ramp as a composite blend to the opacity texture with a black vray colour layer below in the composite.

Name:	image.png
Views:	59
Size:	751.8 KB
ID:	1204502Click image for larger version

Views:	55
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1204503

Which outputs this preview

Views:	53
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	1204504

On the rendered car though there is a harsh line...almost like the gradient is in solid mode and there is no interpolation between the shades.

​​Click image for larger version

Views:	53
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	1204505
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

So, I tried a standard Vray material. I thought it might be the vrayscanned material that was causing this issue. It wasn't.

The gradient black is 0,0,0 rgb. It just will not fade to black (zero opacity).

Views:	46
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	1204513
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

So, if I apply just a vraymaterial to the object underneath it works fine. If I have a vrayblend with the same material at 100% opacity but the original vrayscan on the layer underneath, the problem persists..albeit it becomes less noticable.
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Right. I worked it out. It was because I was using cryptomatte in the VFB for the door paint...it was screwing around the the opacity threshold. Now that I've included the vraydecal into the same set of curves/cryptomattes it looks fine.
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
            X