• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threadripper 7995WX 96-Cores

Windows 11
    3dsmax 2016
    Vray 3.60.04

Threadripper 7995WX 96-Cores

My first test render has 64 render buckets. Does this sound right? I'm not sure if hardware/Windows is limiting cpu access or it's something on vray's side of things
    Anyone else run into this?
    Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

I have a Threadripper 3990x (64 Cores/128 Threads) and it shows 128 Renderbuckets.
    So in your case you should see 192 Buckets.
    Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
      Windows 11
      3dsmax 2016
      Vray 3.60.04

Threadripper 7995WX 96-Cores

My first test render has 64 render buckets. Does this sound right? I'm not sure if hardware/Windows is limiting cpu access or it's something on vray's side of things
      Anyone else run into this?
      It is a combination of both. Windows has some specifics about supporting more than 64 cores so it needs explicit software support. We added it in V-Ray 3.4.
      Later on Windows 11 changed a bit the way more than 64 cores are handled and it required software updates again. This was added in V-Ray 5.2

Best regards,
      Yavor
      Yavor Rubenov
      V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post

It is a combination of both. Windows has some specifics about supporting more than 64 cores so it needs explicit software support. We added it in V-Ray 3.4.
        Later on Windows 11 changed a bit the way more than 64 cores are handled and it required software updates again. This was added in V-Ray 5.2

Best regards,
        Yavor

Thanks for the response yavor.rubenov -- does this mean if we installed Windows 10 we could fully utilize the cores with V-Ray 3.6?

Comment

Overall V-Ray 3.6 is quite old so I can't really say what would happen - try at your own risk..
          Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Good news, IT was able to modify Windows 11 to take full advantage of the cores with Vray 3.6

Here's what we did if others stumble on this --

I edited the registry and added the DWORD SplitLargeNodes to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Control\NUMA and set it to 1
            The VRSpawner.log (%temp% folder) initially was showing one processor group in the 'group aware processor detection' -- once the above change was made, three groups were detected and all cores were utilized for rendering

Comment

Kudos to your ITs. I didn't know there was an option for that..
              Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Working...
              X