Strange issue with all model edges being rendered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange issue with all model edges being rendered

When rendering all edges on all parts of the model show very finely...almost as though I have a overide material on everything with vrayedgestex in diffuse. It is very odd. Any idea what could be causing this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	89
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	1205509
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Hi, thanks for posting. Are you using V-Ray CPU or V-Ray GPU?
    Have you checked the render elements? Do you see these lines in all render elements or just in VRayLighting for example?
    Could you send us the scene here or trough the support contact form?
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hey. I am using CPU. I only have crytomatte and denoiser but I switched those off to rule them out. I only see the lines in the RGB output channel.

Sure. I'll send the scene now. Thanks
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I've just sent the support ticket including the file. Thanks
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I had a similar issue and discovered it was turbosmooth with 'smooth result' accidentally turned off on one object...maybe not the same issue but worth mentioning in case it's that simple
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Originally posted by fixeighted View Post
            I had a similar issue and discovered it was turbosmooth with 'smooth result' accidentally turned off on one object...maybe not the same issue but worth mentioning in case it's that simple
            I did try replacing the turbosmooth modifier previously but this made no difference. I even created a brand new sphere and it still shows the edges. It's very odd!
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Weird...upload a simple bit maybe and I'll see if I can spot anything unusual while support get around to looking at it.

Comment

Hey. Here is a much reduced version. All the same setup...I've just left one piece of geometry in the scene...simple material. Straight away you can see when you render....

Thanks for looking btw Much appreciated.
                Attached Files
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

ok. I tried something...distance from origin. If I attach the cam to the geo and move the geo to 0,0,0 the problem goes away. If the geo is -1500m, -1500m 0m from the origin the problem comes back. So, it's distance from origin causing the issue. I have a large scene with a vehicle driving along a road. Everything is set to scale. How would I overcome this issue?
                  Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

that sounds like a precision error. This happens in Maya as well, things start to render oddly and even animation will jitter and move incorrectly if you are a large distance away from the origin. the numbers just get too large and Maya runs into precision errors.
                    www.DanielBuck.net - www.My46Willys.com - www.33Chevy.net - www.DNSFail.com

Comment

Annoying thing that is. Although your scene unit are mms, so merging everything into a new scene with cms or metres will make it go away in this cut down scene, so that
                      could work for you.

EDIT: Although it appears to work just fine with cms, using metres makes the viewport break in a way I don't understand. It will render ok but in the viewport you cannot see the mesh unless you zoom out, which is just peculiar.
                      EDIT 2: It's all good...just needs viewport clipping adjusted for metres
                      Last edited by fixeighted; 28-03-2024, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I'll give that a go. It was fine for a scene where the car was static at origin but I should have checked my scene scale units...damnit. Oh well, live and learn
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I recall there was an issue like that when using high camera fov values like 1000 or something. It's also a precision issue worth checking it out.
                          Dmitry Vinnik
                          Silhouette Images Inc.
                          ShowReel:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

yes, very high focal lengths can cause funny stuff too, and isn't related to the near/far clipping.
                            www.DanielBuck.net - www.My46Willys.com - www.33Chevy.net - www.DNSFail.com

Comment

Working...
                            X