• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 5.2. Refraction seems ignoring camera clip planes

Hi,
    I've a question.
    I'm on Vray 5.2, 3dsmax 2022.
    As attached you'll find a simple scene with a glass pane (using refraction for transparency) and a two spheres behind it. One of those is visually outside the glass pane and one behind.
    Activating camera clip planes and set the far one between the glass and the spheres, the final rendering shows the refracted sphere that is visually behind the glass.
    Is it correct? Is it possible to completely hide the objects that are behinid the far clip plane?
    I knkow that I could use some workarounds about this, but something different could help me avoiding this.
    Attached Files

Hi, thanks for posting.
    Activating camera clip planes and set the far one between the glass and the spheres
    This is the current behaviour. You could try using VRayClipper instead. If your scene has a lot of geometry or animated objects this may not be the best solution.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post
      Hi, thanks for posting.

This is the current behaviour. You could try using VRayClipper instead. If your scene has a lot of geometry or animated objects this may not be the best solution.
      Thank you for the tip.
      In my simple scene it works perfectly... I'll check it on my main scene.
      Meanwhile I was thinking, do you think it could be added a feature to the camera far clip plane with the clipper option? Should I add it to the wishlist thread?

EDIT: Tested on my main scene with many objects (just static, no animation) and it's perfect. Thanks a lot.
      Last edited by bardo; 16-04-2024, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Hi, I am not sure if it is technically possible for the camera clipping planes to "catch" refraction rays but I will ask.
        do you think it could be added a feature to the camera far clip plane with the clipper option
        How do you imagine this exactly? Probably a button that assigns a VRayClipper in place of the far clipping plane?
        But again this seems a bit of a long stretch in my opinion. We will discuss it and get back to the thread.

Comment

Hi, I am not sure if it is technically possible for the camera clipping planes to "catch" refraction rays but I will ask.

How do you imagine this exactly? Probably a button that assigns a VRayClipper in place of the far clipping plane?
          But again this seems a bit of a long stretch in my opinion. We will discuss it and get back to the thread.
          More or less like you proposed.
          Or a button that add a VrayClipper object, parented to the far clip plane (and it should follow the camera orientation in case moving the camera) or adding a VrayClipper sub-section to the camera Clip Planes section with the VrayClipper settings (excluding the mesh mode options).

Comment

Hi, for now we will not include this idea in our development plans. Let's see what other users think about a feature like this. We may reconsider it in the future.
            For now please use the workaround that we discussed.

Comment

Hi, for now we will not include this idea in our development plans. Let's see what other users think about a feature like this. We may reconsider it in the future.
              For now please use the workaround that we discussed.
              Thanks a lot.
              I'll do.

Comment

Working...
              X