max closes during light cache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max closes during light cache

I tried calculating the light cache at 3600x2160 with subdivs 1000 and sample size 0.02, but as soon as it started I received an application error from max and it closed. I then tried at 2400x1440, but same thing. Finally it worked at 1800x1080, but I need higher res. Is this a memory issue? I am using a Pentium 4 3.6 ghz 2.00 gb ram. Do I need to use the famous 3 gb switch that everyone talks about? How do I go about this? Please help!!!!!

Easy way to check open windows task manager and then do a large render and see what the memory reaches before max crashes.
    If its around 1.7-1.8gb then you know memory is your problem.

You can try using the 3gb switch. Do a search there is a thread called the ultimate 3gb switch thread or something.

Comment

Where exactly do I have to look? The percentage of CPU use is up to 100%....but also when I render at 640x480 but it does not crash. I will try the same seen without displacement on the grass.

Comment

If you are using 3d displacement for your grass, try increasing the Edge length parameter in VRayDisplacementMod modifier.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Make sure its showing the memory usage for max, and you will also need to turn on the displaying of virtual memory as well. To do this:
          Bring up the task manager
          Click on the process tab
          click on the view menu and choose select columns
          Make sure memory usage and virtual memory is ticked.
          click OK

Now render a large scene and keep an eye on the memory levels before it crashes.

and try what Vlado said

Comment

Working...
          X