more memory issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more memory issues.

i am rendering some scenes for an animation where the rendering frequently uses between 2 and 3Gb of RAM. Through monitoring the memory usage I notice VRay does two things...

1. It doesnt unload the bitmaps loaded for rendering ( I have alot of them, hence it uses alot of RAM) - this makes further work really slow.

2. It seems unable to clear the RAM back to its pre-rendering state. It seems to accumulate 200-300Mb each time - which means I have to restart MAX eery two or three renders.

Can this be fixed? Its a real pain on large scenes.

Thanks

hi mark,
    you can run a simple maxscript to clear the bitmaps at the end of each render.

freescenebitmaps()

Works really well.

Also are you using max's bitmap pager?
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

I am using the bitmap pager.... Im not sure though how much difference its making - do u have lots of experience using it?

Comment

Re: more memory issues.

Originally posted by markgl
        1. It doesnt unload the bitmaps loaded for rendering ( I have alot of them, hence it uses alot of RAM) - this makes further work really slow.
        This was specifically done to match what the scanline renderer is doing. As jacksc02 pointed out, you can clear the bitmaps manually.

2. It seems unable to clear the RAM back to its pre-rendering state. It seems to accumulate 200-300Mb each time - which means I have to restart MAX eery two or three renders.
        This may depend on your V-Ray settings. By default, V-Ray does not clear any GI caches at the end of the rendering, unless you specify otherwise.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

apparently everyone has been raving about a plugin called wavgen which is great when using large bitmaps

---------------------------------------------------
          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

It seems like after a while (loading in 10 hires HDRs separately) that this script stops working - at least it stops displaying in the mat editor which is on the other monitor. Is there a separate script to refresh that?

Also, I am lazy with a bad memory for words - how do i make these into buttons?
            LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
            HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
            Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Working...
            X