Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Due to a new Law.. Vray won't work on my Farm!!!!!! Help :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Due to a new Law.. Vray won't work on my Farm!!!!!! Help :)

I don't know what the issue is but here is the problem. I don't know if this has passed for other states but the Sabains & Oxly Guide line, has made it so everyone is protected on there computers. Well my company is forcing a screensvaer after 5 minutes of no use on the machines with a password protected.

Well I have run some tests and my V-ray fails out when the screen svers jump on. Even if I lock the computer the screensaver jumps on and the servers fail. Is there a reason for this? am I just doing something wrong. I have never had issues with this until now.
    Thanks
    Mathew Everett
    http://www.lappymats.com

Phillipians 4:13
    "I can do all things, through Christ who strengthens me."

Is it killing the network connection when the screensaver comes on too, maybe that is part of the "security"?
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Some quick investigation into the act seems to point toward that possibility. I would just kick back and tell the boss you can't work until IT finds a way to make it work and comply, should get you a break until about Christamas :P
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Make sure that its just a screensaver, and that its not putting anything into low power or standby mode.

And check with how the law works. Since these are technically servers, not workstations, because of how you are using them, they may be exempt.

Comment

Is the same as the Sarbanes-Oxley Act?

If "On resume, display welcome screen" is enabled in the screen saver properties the system will lose connection (I think) when the screen saver kicks on.
          Austin Watts
          Render Media

Blurring more than 20,000 cars since May, 2001.

Comment

The fix they are adding is a group moderation to force a password protected screensaver after 15 minutes of no activity. Is there a way to allow Vray to look like something is goin on the screen at all times? make it so it doesn't run in the back ground
            Thanks
            Mathew Everett

Comment

Originally posted by Dynedain
              Make sure that its just a screensaver, and that its not putting anything into low power or standby mode.

And check with how the law works. Since these are technically servers, not workstations, because of how you are using them, they may be exempt.
              the problem is I am logged into each computer. I tried telling them I lock it out of windows regardlessly so it is password protected, bso they said thats fine, but even if they are locked after 15 minutes the screensaver kicks in again!
              Thanks
              Mathew Everett

Comment

this is an actual law? hehe. how stupid is that. say it aint so

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

It isn't a law, It is a set of Guidelines that companies are able to adopt to cover there A$$es form becoming an Enron situation!
                  Thanks
                  Mathew Everett

Comment

find a 3rd party desktop locking program if there is such a thing

quick google search http://www.toplang.com/desktoplock.htm 1st link i came across

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

Isn't that act only supposed to regulate financial reports and things of that nature? Or am I missing something? Is there any documentation of the guidelines publicly available?
                      Austin Watts
                      Render Media

Blurring more than 20,000 cars since May, 2001.

Comment

Ok, this is what you do. Instead of logging in to each machine as you, you have them setup with netrendering running as a service (using a vray specific user account on the windows domain). Then you can leave each machine at the login screen. Don't need to enable a password, and can even take away the keyboards and monitors if you setup VPN connections.

If the IT people have specific security concerns, talk with them about how you can setup your machines to comply, with what you know about how vray and 3dsmax network rendering works. You don't have to run them as you would a normal workstation. (we dont)

Comment

yeah. leave the systems as is. and tell them the only way they can change the system settings on the farm is if they come up with a solution. they are the IT people its their job (sorry all IT people in here but most IT guys i find are useless and incompatible with out field of work)

Comment

I already have been movong for my own network domain. and it looks like it is going to go that way! It look s as if IT is odne sitting with their thumbs up there A$$ and are finally going to get me back online. It would have been nice f they warned me of the issue, I could have fixed this before it happened....
                            Thanks
                            Mathew Everett

Comment

You don't have to have your own domain. But in a domain environement, you shouldn't be logging yourself into each machine with your user account in order to use vray. Netrendering should be running as a process with a user account that is sepecifically for 3dstudio network rendering. That way, that user can be put in its own group with its own policies that are not the same as general user policies (like this autoscreensaver thing).

Comment

Working...
                              X