Translucency and refraction mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translucency and refraction mapping

How can I make a refraction (transparency) mapped object translucent without making the 100% transparent parts reappear again

mmm i think i know what you mean.... and its hard... may not even be possible.

I tried something similar ages ago with leaves which had alpha maps.. and making the leaves glossy... this caused the whole area even the transparent areas to become glossy which make it look like a leaf had been covered in a square of glossy plastic/contact.

I think the only way you will get it to work is to use displacement and water level to discard the transparent bits of mesh alltogether. Then you can use translucency on the rest easily.

Let me find my post about that.
    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...highlight=leaf

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I already experimented with all your tricks and some others. I guess the fastest and safest route is to go the heavy poly route. I hope there will be a solution for this so I don't have to plan my softwares for every task I meet

Comment

hey trick, maybe if you posted an example of what you are trying to do it might make it easier for us to help
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

what he said

Comment

I'm in the middle of a deadline right now. After that I hope to have some time to post something. What is it actually that you don't understand about my problem ?

You can map transparency by putting a BW-mask in the refraction texture slot, but when you want to have translucency not only the opac parts will get translucent but also the 100% parts. And that is not what I hoped to get. A clipping mask would resolve my problems, but for this job I went the "water level" route.

Thanks...

Comment

hey trick, have you tried using the opacity map in the vray material?
              Chris Jackson
              Shiftmedia
              www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Jacksc01....Yes, sloooooowww

Comment

but does it work?
                  Chris Jackson
                  Shiftmedia
                  www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Working...