exclude object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exclude object

have a problem, i want to Exclude the reflection of a certain object in another, say i have a sphere and dont want to see this sphere in the reflection of a box, however do want to see it in other object reflections so i cant use the Visible ref/raf in the object settings...

normal materials have an Exclude option in the reflect/refract settings, vray material does not... what can i do?

You can just turn of its "visible to reflections\refractions" property in its "property" dialogue. But then it wont show in any reflections on any object.
    Signing out,
    Christian

Comment

yes thats what i said in my post

Comment

*clears eyes*
        Heh....that goes to show how carefully I read that post
        Well, guess youll have to split it up into rendering out elements and comping them together then. Afaik there is no way to emulate that scanline cheat in vray.
        Signing out,
        Christian

Comment

good one to add to the vray wishlist. That should be added to the vray properties dialogue.

Comment

I'd like to see selective GI in that same manner.
            Austin Watts
            Render Media

Blurring more than 20,000 cars since May, 2001.

Comment

has this been resolved yet? I was about to post the same question, but thought I'd search first.

I think I remember being able to do this in Final Render? I can't really remember. It's been a while since I've used that one.

I add objects all the time to add highlights on one object (usually for stainless materials), but then those objects are visible on the floor, and sometimes other objects if they are close enough. Kinda looks crappy then.

Anyone have any other ideas other than comping? We are still having issues with that workflow. Having troubles getting the data into after effects efficiently.

Comment

I remember Vlado saying that adding this particular functionality would really slow down performance. I'd like to have the ability too but at the price of speed I'd just rather comp it.

V Miller

Comment

that's not always possible to do with correct lighting.

Plus, we don't have time to comp all the time. Sometimes someone wants something "yesterday." I'm sure some of you can relate.

In those cases we give them the best quality we can as fast as we can. Cutting out sending multiple renders and custom comping for each set of files can dramatically reduce time. While my renderfarm can handle jobs overnight, I don't work overnight every night.

I'd still like the feature available. I don't mind it being slow. I'm not going to use it ALL the time.

Comment

might be able to be done now with the new override material in vray 1.5. You can specify different materials for objects, for reflection, refraction, and GI I think. Give the object 100% refraction and ior of 1.0 so in the reflection it now becomes 100% transparent. Kinda dodgy, but Im sure it would work. Of course you could also have it not be visible to GI from within the reflection as well.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

that overide effects how an object is seen by all objects with respect to reflection and refraction. As far as I know you still can't exclude individual object from being seen by other specified objects like you could do in the old max raytracer.

V Miller

Comment

Working...
                      X