RPC Trees and whatnot....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPC Trees and whatnot....

Ok.....The client came back and wanted to show REALISTIC trees on the plan. Since we have a detailed landscape plan, they want to show what is really there.....So......I was showing the architect the options we had and they REALLY LIKED these RPC trees..."Have you heard of them" they said... lol So......Took me about 20 minutes to populate the scene with the trees ai needed and it gave me an excuse to purchase about 600 bucks worth of new rpcs....So it worked out ok in my opinion....The problem is that I have not used rpcs since vray came into my life....and I having a couple of issues......
    Just so I can make this clear.......I have to use these trees....we bought them....done deal....So, if I get a " Use another tree mehtod response....."....It's not gonna be pretty....

I have about 370 plants.......Are there any tips or tricks I should know about...Should I make them proxies....Can I make them proxies?
    Shadows or not shadows......Are some plants worse then others , if I go by the RPC file size......etc...etc....I did buy a bunch of the 2.5D animated people also...I always did like those......also when I logged into support.....I can download 1.47.19...and it says it is a demo release....is that where I am suppose to be....Thanx all......

Later

Eric
    Eric Camper
    Studio 3D
    www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Addition to the question in question of the question.......or something like that......

Here is the problem I have some of the time....I get NO ERRORS with this image..... these images render in about 3:45 minutes......from 12 minutes with my geometry...so I am happy with that part

and here is when it works out fine

Now.....Should I save all my rpc trees to another file and use the vray scene converter to convert all materials to vray.......Will that help.....When I tried to do it in the material editor, the material went back to standard on it's own...Now that was weird........Any help is appreicated....Thanx again....

Eric
    Eric Camper
    Studio 3D
    www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

RPC's will not convert to vraymats or proxies for that matter.

Also there is a blurring problem with rpc's in vray, shadows are also an issue. Best I think to render them on their own layer in scanline if you can.
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

at this point shadows are the least of my concern....but I think i remember someone had a kickbutt script here that would help....

THis is for a 1800 frame animations, so I can not render out seperate files for trees.....I think.....I guess I could render them to tga and alpha and over lay in Premiere or somethig, but that is way too much for me to do at this point....I just want the file to render and not crash....hehe....Thanx..

Later

Eric
        Eric Camper
        Studio 3D
        www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

When I have to use RPCs (which is almost never now, thank god) my trick is to make sure they are not excluded from the light source. They are of course excluded by default when inserted into the model. They will get better lighting and real shadows. And turn down or turn off their self-illumination.
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

In the first image, were you using DR to render the image? If so, all the machines within the DR need to be able to reach the RPC files from the same location. Before V-Ray when I used RPC alot, we actually had a 10GB directory of every RPC file we had located on every single machine, RPC are not network friendly as they can get very large.

As for working with them in V-Ray, hopefully the other comments help you out.

Comment

Working...
            X