Raytracing not disabling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raytracing not disabling

I'm getting flickering randomly (seemingly) between frames of a network rendering. After checking all my lighting and render settings, and reading about some problems here, I think that some glass material in my scene that I haven't found is refracting very bright because it is the Max Raytracing material. And yes, I do have a legal license purchased through my work.

I converted over a night time scene of a housing developement last week (materials -> VRayMTL) and got great stills. When I did a network rendering of an animated 'fly by' the Vray lights would glow very bright on some frames. I'm not sure if it is just my machine.
    One thing that I found strange is that when in the render setting under the Raytracer tab, I click off (deselected) 'Enable Raytracing' in the 'Global Raytrace Engine Options' group to make sure that I wasn't raytracing any materials accidentally still mapped with the Raytrace material, I closed the 'Render' dialogue box and reopend it, the 'Enable Raytracing was checked again.

You should be able to easily check if there are any raytrace materials in your scene by opening up the material browser thingy (the first little button on the left under the material squares)

And change the dot point to "scene" and then look thru the list for raytrace materials. If you find any, instance them into the material browser, then press the little buttont hat selects the objects that the material is applied to then recreate it as a vray material then re-apply it.
    Although its a little more work, it will be worth it in the long run. I think just turning off raytrace materials they way you are doing it wont work as you would expect.

edit:
    I also found that the vray scene converter didnt pick up all raytrace materials in a scene i ran it on recently either.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed description on the material check. Actually I did what you described last week, but as this is a non billable test that I'm doing, and I was in a hurry, perhaps I missed something. I'll try to get in some more trouble shooting when I get in tomarrow.
      Thanks again, and if I still can't root out this bugger, "I'll be back".

Comment

heheh ok cool. Well best of luck with it

Also im not 100% sure but possible the architecual materials that are standard with max may be raytraced based so double check those as well.

Comment

architectural materials are based on the max raytrace material
          Chris Jackson
          Shiftmedia
          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

yeah thats what i thought... thanks for clarifyng

Comment

and im not sure if vray really looks at what your doing in the raytracer panel. just get rid of all the yucky materials manually

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Working...
              X