Hard falloff in ocean scene ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard falloff in ocean scene ...

Hello ... I've got a little problem here that I'm seeking a solution for ...

In this ocean scene the water has a hard edge when i reaches a certain depth ... ho can I get rid of that ... I've used a slightly modified ocean material that was posted on this forum before ...

Here's the max scene in case somebody has the time to take a look at it ....
    http://www.boardgames.at/misc/Ocean.zip

Thanks in advance ... Andreas.

You might try setting the cutoff thresh. in the water mat to 0
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Thank you Eric ...

... unfortunately I can't test it before monday when I'm back at the office ... I'll let you know how it worked out ...

Greetings ... Andreas.

Comment

No success

Hello ... I've just tried Eric's hint but it didn't work ... still the same hard edge in the water ... have you tried my scene Eric? ... did it work on your PC ...

Maybe somebody else can help ...

Regards ... Andreas.

Comment

Found ...

Hello ... after having read a thread in the "Wishlist" section of this forum I checked that scaling of my scene ...

The scene was too small ... not for my taste - cause I'm always working visually rather than architecturally ... it seems than once a scene is quite small it's very tricky to get some rendering working fine cause you can't adjust the values precisely any longer ...

Here are some renderings done at different scaling ... starting with 100% ... as you can see the hard edge of the shoreline starts to appear at 10% scaling and is pretty wide once we are at 1% ... the cuttoff setting of the ocean material is not able to improve anything on that level ...

One more problem as you can see here concerns the darkness of the renderings using Adaptive subdivision ... I cannot explain why this is the case ... too bad cause I usually use that type of antialiasing ... maybe someone can clarify this issue ...

Anyway ... as long as scaling solves the problem here I'm happy about it ... from now on I'm simply starting to modell at a higher scale to avoid problems like that in the future ...

I'd appreciate any comments on that topic ... Regards ... Andreas.

Comment

It's hard to say what may be wrong right away, can you please send this test scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com so that I can have a look?

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Wow interesting results.

Comment

Andreas, set the Cut-off threshold for the water material to 0.01 and it will be fine.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

One problem solved ... one to go

Well ... one of the problems is gone ... although that wasn't really a "problem" for me cause so far I've always used a cut-off value of 0,01 ... this just happened cause I had set the value to 0,5 fpr testing purposes and overlooked setting it back to 0,01.

The bigger of the mysteries is still here ... the hard edge at the shore line is still visible ... must have something to do with the precision of the calculations I guess ...

Here are some renderings with different cut-off values ... the last image shows the fixed "dark adaptive subdivison" issue that has been solved here ...

For me the situation is like that ... I will render at bigger scales from now on ...

Thanks Vlado for checking the scene ... Greetings ... Andreas.

Comment

This is a shadow problem !! Activate "Smooth Surface Shadow" and decrease
                    the Bias to 0,01 or something. If this option is off.. it looks like Vray uses 0,2
                    as default Bias.

cheers

Comment

Hooooray!!!

That did the trick ... though enabling "Smooth surface shadows" is not necessary ... setting the shadow bias to 0,01 was enough ....

Thank you very much ... Andreas.

Comment

Can you show us the results and what its meant ot look like.

Comment

It looks like the last set of images except there's a smooth gradient over the surface now ... I will upload an image as soon as I'm in the office again ... tomorrow morning ...

Greetings ... Andreas.

Comment

Final images

Here are the final renderings with the suggested solution applied ...

Thanks agaib fot the great tip ...

Greetings ... Andreas.

Comment

so it was all about the shadow hey... cool

Looks good now. So you had to scale the scene down as well ?

Comment

Working...
                              X