Vray Proxies in Viewport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Proxies in Viewport

I am having all sort of problems seeing Vray Proxies in the Viewport. I am using 7.5 with 1.47.03 - basically they seem to come and go when they please, dissappearing from the viewport, I cannot select them or see them, only through object select. My graphics card is Nividia Quadro FX3000 and have tried using the Maxtreme 8 and the Direct 3D drivers with no luck.

I also have a problem loading a proxy with materials - if I convert an Oynx tree for example, save the proxy and choice create proxy - everything works fine, but if I load the same proxy - all the materials have gone.

I hope all this makes sense - the end of a very long and trying day.

Thanks in advance for your help.

the display issues are a pain, best to instance them when you copy.

The material thing is the way it works. Materials are not saved in the vrmesh. You have two choices, either colapse to a single object before you export and save the multi sub mat to apply to the proxy later or use the create proxy and keep the material on the new proxy or save that multi sub mat to apply to proxies later. Hmm maybe that is three choices...
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info.
      The viewport issue was really driving me mad, but after some experimentation I got the idea - instance good - copy bad. They are just a different animal then I thought. Collapsing and getting multi-materials is a great piece of advice, I think I'll be making lots of vrmesh objects and not as many copies of them - to get variety I am looking for.

Thanks again.

Comment

I've also gotten it to work by applying a Material modifier to each individual object in the group, giving it a unique material ID, then grouping the objects and creating a multisub for the group. This way you don't have to collapse the mesh into a single object.

Comment

Another limitation of Proxies with Oynx

I have found a fairly decent workflow but also another limitation of vray proxies and Oynx. You cannot convert an Oynx tree with a subobject level ( i.e. plate leaves with transparency ) to a mesh of any kind. Oynx trees only seem to want to convert to meshes when they have no subobjects. I have tried converting the subject and the tree storm tree seperately - thinking I will join them again before making a vrmesh but this doesn't work (in my tests anyway)

The workflow I am using which seems pretty good is make a cluster of textured Oynx trees, then convert that cluster to vrmesh - the advantage being you can add some variety through Oynx. Then if you collapse everything to a mesh, (keeping seperate object ID's) max automatically creates a single material for all, you can then convert to a vrmesh and save your material.

Hope this helps somebody in the future and it continues to work for me

Comment

Working...
          X