Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed tricks for 3d vegetation

Hi,

I am new to vray and I have used brazil in production so far. I have an exterior scene with quite a many 3d trees and bushes. Rendering is really fast and I happy with it but ray server takes quite a while to initialize cause of all these trees. Are there any speed tricks to accelerate the ray server calculation? All my leaves and needles are geometry. Do you guys usually render your 3d vegetation in seperate pass or maybe trunks with gi with the rest of the scene and leaves with different pass. I am using onyx tree and would like to know what's a good workflow to optimize the ray server calculation and render speed.

Thx in advance.

-Vermu

Try raising the Max tree depth to 100 (default 60) and lower the
    Face/level to 1.0 ( keep in mind it may eat more memory ).. Both parameters are in the V-Ray System rollout (top left)

Best regards,
    nikki Candelero
    .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

Also if you have any opacity mapped leaves, make sure to turn the blur down to 0.01 on the opactiy map, this will help speed up render times AND make the leaves look better

Comment

Also turn off filtering of the opacity bitmap - speeds up render times.
        Dan Brew

Comment

If you have not specified any sub-objects under the leaf adjustment parameters, you can collapse to mesh and export to Vray mesh/proxy.

If you have specified sub-objects you cannot collapse to mesh or export to vray mesh proxy, in which case keep as tree storm object but use as many instances as possible. Just use rotation and scale to introduce variety.
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

vray proxies will not help u lower ur rendertimes...
            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
            nuno@ene-digital.com
            00351 917593145

Comment

you can say that again!!

Comment

yes, but don't vray proxies initialize faster than leaving onyx tree storm objects in the scene? And also, doesn't vray render instances faster than copies? I could test it, but I'm rendering something else right now...
                "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

i think a test would be great, but as far as i know rendering geometry is faster then vray proxys...and that s that...but again....i ve never tested it
                  Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                  nuno@ene-digital.com
                  00351 917593145

Comment

Vray proxys slows down rendering... its a known fact.
                    They are there to lower memory limits by only loading in the geometry that is needed at that specfic time in the render.

They are most definitly slower.

I did it the other day with a bunch of poly trees... 7million polys in total i think, 19mins with proxy and 9mins with geometry.

Comment

Thx for the tips.

Candelero: I changed the settings but it didn't have any impact to ray server speed so I went back to defaults.

Comment

So does the use of proxies not outweigh the advantage of not needing to use dynamic memory?

I have a scene that crashes on 'static' but works on 'dynamic'.... there's only about 5 or 6 instances of each vegetation type, so there may not be much of a memory saving in using proxies to allow me to use static memory.

Any suggestions?
                        Patrick Macdonald
                        Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

Well proxies basically puts selected geometry into "dynamic memory" whereas switching to dynamic memory puts the whole scene into "dynamic memory"

thats the basics of it i believe.

It depends on how much its crashing by... if its only "just" running out of memory then yeah it would be worth while. Basically just try to put the most memory intensive objects into memory, which in your case sounds like the trees.
                          Cant hurt to try.

Comment

Ah, thanks for the explanation, that makes alot of sense!
                            I'll try that out.

I've thought also that I should change the max tree depth and face/level coef. back to their defaults (currently 100, and 1.0 as per a previous suggestion)... as they apparently increase memory consumption
                            Patrick Macdonald
                            Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

Yeah i dont know EXACTLY who those 2 things work in terms of memory usage. So I wont comment in the case that im off track.

Someone else will pipe in and set you straight tho

Comment

Working...
                              X