Sharp shadow line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yes, there is a problem!..... but it's not vray or max.... it's ME

Thanks DaForce, I cranked the area shadow size to 2000,2000,2000 and got exactly what I was looking for, a nice silky smooth shadow transition! Superb! Ref the model - yeah, I generally can't be bothered to go in and edit those rhino meshes, so if they render ok then I'll just leave em alone.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Rob.

.:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

just as a sidenote : a great way to get Rhino (or cad models in general) to max is npower's Powertranslators. They work great, and your model stays nurbs/solids/breps. So you get all the benefits like viewbased tesselation etc.

Regards,
      Thorsten

Comment

No problem, glad to help.

Yeah I initially thought it was to do with all the double edges, so i quickly remodelled that area around the line but it made no difference. But hey.... it seems to render just fine now

Comment

DaForce - now I think about it, trying to get a soft area shadow from a 10mm dia sphere just isn't going to work I now understand the 'vray shadows parameter' box a little more!

Thorsten - that plugin looks pretty cool. Does having a nurbs model in max take up more ram than a converted poly model?
          .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

for both rendering and viewport the model has to be tesselated of course. BUT it is done on the fly, and you can have different settings for viewports and rendering...so you can tweak it a lot to actually consume less resources (also enhanced by view dependent tesselation)

Thorsten

Comment

yeah your not wrong.

Enjoy your new found knowledge

Comment

Working...
              X