Vray 1.5 - vray plane - horizon problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 1.5 - vray plane - horizon problem

I'm not very far into this scene yet (haven't even done lights and the products aren't in) but I noticed this strange thing so i thought I'd bring it up.

Notice the blue crap at the horizon line? I have no idea what that is. It's just a vray plane with a cement like textured vray material on it. It also has a little glossy reflections going on. I think I have it at .85 with 8 samples (although I might be able to bring the samples down a bit).

Is this a bug, known issue (although not to me), or what? I haven't a clue yet. I may actually switch to a white background anyway, but we use similar things on occasion so i'd like to solve this soon before everyone else here switches to 1.5

Can we see an image to show better ? Thanks.

Best regards,
    nikki Candelero
    .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I just forgot to put up the link.

Now on that image the horizon is near the top, but this happens no matter what. I have also done better antialiasing. Then it just looks more like a solid blue line about .5-1 pixel in height.

I haven't ever had an error like that before. It's strange.

Comment

Try with sub-pixels mapping enabled in Color mapping.
        In teapots we trust.

Comment

well, I've narrowed it down, but still haven't figured it out.

I changed to just a white material and it seemed to go away for the most part, but then I noticed there is still noise on the horizon, just not colored.

I created a material with just a map and it didn't look bad.

It just seems to happen with that particular map.

The only other feature that seems to be out of the ordinary is the mapping method. I am using planar from world with real world scale. It's about a 5k image as well. I don't have any other ones that big to test. I'm just going to use white anyway. It's difficult to make a texture for something that goes on forever that doesn't appear to repeat. This one works ok, but it's huge and seems to be the cause of this problem.

Comment

what are your AA settings ? If it's default then the prob might be -1/2...try 0/3 if that's the case...mind you that AA is pretty critical with a vrayplane, as it goes infinitly...so sampling below 0 usually gives artifacts.

Thorsten

Comment

What happens if you try a different filter method for the map (e.g. summed area)?

I remember a similar issue with 3dsmax bitmaps in general when the tiling of the bitmap becomes smaller than a single pixel. This seemed to go away with one of the filtering methods, but I don't remember which one.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
              X