Backburner, time slider range, camera and vray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backburner, time slider range, camera and vray

There seems to be a problem with Vray where if you submit a job to Backburner while the time slider range in Max is out of the range of the frame numbers the camera motion will be lost up to the point where the time slider range is set. From then on the camera motion is ok.

For instance if you submit a job for frames 0 - 100 and your time slider range is 50 -150. Any camera movement from 0-50 is lost and will render the view for those frames from the camera position as it is at frame 50.

Can anyone confirm this. Doesn't seem to be a problem with scanline.

Thanks,
    Rod

Yep, confirmed. i think we posted a bug report on it a looong time ago. We had to rewrite our render manager to set the time range correctly before sending to backburner
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

confirmed x 2, happened to me a few months ago on a project and I thought I recalled finding a thread about it somewhere where it was acknowledged as an issue
      | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Comment

Unfortunately, this cannot be fixed easily on the V-Ray side. Because of the way V-Ray works, it needs to know what is the camera animation before it starts rendering, and to do that it needs to know the extents of the animation. The only guide for this is the time slider animation range.

I can probably add a warning and/or error in the log file if you try to render outside the animation range.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I just realized that this happens even when rendering locally. Never noticed before.

Don't mean to remotely pretend how Vray is coded but could it not just get the animation range from the frame range or at least change the time slider range to match the frame range before it starts rendering. This didn't seem to be an issue with vray free.

Unfortunately this is one of those problems that happens when your in a big rush and by its nature with a pretty long animation.

Would it at least be possible to have it pop up a window with the warning and allow you to cancel out of a job submission. I don't think the log window shows up when submitting to backburner.

Thanks for the quick response.

Rod

Comment

Hey Vlado,

Really need to revisit this problem. We got burned pretty badly by this problem over the weekend. It's just too easy to forget to set the time line slider on files that are averaging 2000 - 5000 frames in length. Lost many valuable hours on the render farm.

Thanks,
            Rod

Comment

Working...
            X