• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• consistent vray crashes with sun and physical cam

helllo,
    i'm getting consistant crashes with this scene here:
    http://www.joepizzini.com/VRAY/Error..._Tut_Start.zip
    i think the problem lies with the vray sun or the physical cam.
    sometimes it will render a few frames without crashing...sometimes it crashes on the 1st render attempt. i have the vraysun linked to a daylight system. the crash seems to occur regardless of time of day.
    heres a screen grab:

any ideas?
    on each crash the error msg appears for about 5 seconds then it completely exits 3ds max.
    thanks
    -joe
    www.boxxtech.com

overbright warnings could be due to some 3rd party or unsupported shader or texture. Check to see if there is any of that.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Dmitry,
      i didn't notice the overbright warning but, there are no 3rd party elements in the scene. the reason it was over bright is because i was troubleshooting different f-numbers and just happened to capture a screen grab with an f-number that cause an over bright effect. i have just tried differrent f-numbers (not as bright result) and still get the crash...without getting an overbright material warning.
      thanks
      -joe
      www.boxxtech.com

Comment

Only thing that I could see in it that might have caused a problem is by using the max exposure controls in rendering > advanced lighting > exposure control but I couldnt get that to crash consistently...

Comment

Im having a look at it now.

joconnell,
          You know that buy going to rendering > advanced lighting > exposure control you actually turn it on right.
          Cause in his file its not on, but if you follow your steps it turns it on. Re-open his file and goto rendering -> environment and you will see that its not on.

Comment

*shrugs*
            Rendered fine here. all 200 frames, see avi below.
            The avi was at a lower resolution but I did a few frames at the full res and they worked fine.

DOWNLOAD

The only difference I can see is that your not running SP3 for max8. I would suggest download that and try rneder again see if it helps?

Any other info you can give me to try and replicate the crashes?

Comment

I'm having similiar crashes when apparently using the sun/sky system. My 'test file, will crash maybe 20% of the time when rendering. Will post the scene and details tomorrow. Unfortunately when it crashes for me, it cuts completely out of max, so dont get the exception error.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Weird, I have been testing with sun/sky alot, and have not got any crashes other than obvious ones like running out of memory etc.

Never just a random crash like what you chaps are experiencing.

I assume your running max8 Sp3 or max 7, Percy?

Comment

also no crashes here with max8 sp3

---------------------------------------------------
                  MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                  stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

thanks for looking into in guys. i have been testing sun/sky with the physical cam for awhile now without any problems...until today. i tried starting from scratch with a new scene and managed to reproduce the same crash.
                    the only thing i can think of that i did different with my tests today was that i added the daylight system and linked/attached the sun to it...i'm at a loss. ill get the latest service pack tomorrow and see if it helps. also i'll try to keep a step by step log and try to reproduce the crash.

percy:
                    out of curiosity are you running xp64?

thanks,
                    -joe
                    www.boxxtech.com

Comment

daylight system is not supported by V-Ray !
                      That's why you're crashing.

Make sure you turn OFF both the Direct light as well as the Skylight.
                      Just to use the system to LINK your V-RaySun 'cause of the time adjust.

Best regards,
                      nikki Candelero
                      .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

i have just tried differrent f-numbers (not as bright result) and still get the crash...without getting an overbright material warning.
                        This has nothing to do with the VRayPhyCam, and the f-numbers.
                        All the camera parameters work like a color mapping process, so if you get a warnign for overbright, it is due to a problem in a material mostly, no matter how dark/bright your render-out would be from the VRayPhyCam.

Best regards,
                        nikki Candelero

Comment

Niiki, he had turned off sunlight but not skylight, but the daylight system was still hidden.
                          Therefore it wouldnt have affect teh scene anyway right?

Comment

Well there ya go.
                            As soon as I unhide the daylight system and rendered it with skylight still ticked it crashed.

cant believe i didnt check the daylight system.. hahaha just assumed it wasnt ticked. I guess it isnt as much common knowledge as I thought.

Comment

In the next RC this has been corrected so that the skylight is ignored, and no crashes would be expected. However, you would still have to turn OFF the Direct manually.

Best regards,
                              nikki Candelero

Comment

Working...
                              X