Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texture "Map ###" caused and exception

Hello All,

Been quiet some time since ive been on here, however ive made the move from 1.09 and have spent all day getting my old stuff to run nicely and have successfully done so through the many posts from the past so thank you all for that. I am however running into something i havnt been able to resolve through searching or through my own experiments. I am getting an error on my ground plane which im using displacement on to make grass. It renders fine for about 50% then i get this

warning: Texture "Map ###" caused an exception

and the grass then renders this really bright green for the other 50% ive checked my authorisation thinking it might have been taht but our IT guys says its fine and running on the render server.

Im running a dual xeon with 4 gigs of ram with the 3gb switch in windows xp pro .

Sometimes it will render fine then it will mess up. Any ideas?

Is this a new scene that you have setup in 1.5? or an old 1.09 scene that you have re-opened?

Also what sort of map/texture are you using for the displacement and what type of dispalcement..2d or 3d.

Comment

daforce,

its an old scene from 1.09
      im using 2d deplacement map for the grass its just a plain simple grey scale of the grass im using.

Comment

hmmm weird.

If its a simple scene try re-making it freshly in 1.5 instead of opening an old scene.
        Sounds like it isnt mapped properly or your using an incompatible map or something strange.

Comment

Which V-Ray version are you using? Also are you running Autodesk VIZ?

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Check Daforce's suggestion - make sure the grass is on 2D displacement otherwise it eats up memory.

I was getting those errors and I narrowed it down to the following:

1) Make sure your bitmaps are the SAME throughout the network. Recopy them over. Check your bitmap paths as well in the utility panel.

2) Follow methods to reduce memory usage.

3) If time is critical, render out the grass in a separate pass and comp it back in later.
            LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
            HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
            Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Also dont have a high res displacement map for grass, its not necessary and it will eat up alot of memory, often a 512x512 tileable map is more than enough. Make sure to set the resolution in the displacement appropriately.

Comment

jujubee:
                my maps are not that large they rendered perfect under 1.09
                i will jsut have to do the comp as u mentioned for now ! thanks for your help and response!!

vlado: im not currently in the office however it is not 1.5rc my it guy has emailed for the dongles. we are currently using 1.47 (latest build sorrycant rember the digits) with viz 2006.

again thank you all for you help!!

Comment

Allow me to point you to this thread.. which is stickied at the top of the Problems forum

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=11640

Seems like it could be right up your alley.

AFAIK the problem is fixed in RC2 so you might wany to fast track getting that installed.
                  Enquire about the software dongle, email the chaos chaps about it. That will get you using RC2 before the hardware dongles arrive.

Comment

Yep, what DaForce said.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Comment

thanks all for your help i will try out the suggestions!!

Comment

thanks for the links ive finally managed to read about the problem from the posted link to the forum topic thanks DaForce. Im going back to my VIZ 2005 for now. My IT guy has put ina request for the dongles still waiting for response and hopefully can get back into using 2006 then. Thanks for all your help and hopefully we will get a response soon regarding the dongles

cheers!

Ryan

Comment

btw you van run the RC's whithout a dongle. You might email Vlado about the fix.
                            Eric Boer
                            Dev

Comment

Originally posted by DaForce
                              Enquire about the software dongle, email the chaos chaps about it. That will get you using RC3 before the hardware dongles arrive.
                              And infact if you install RC3 it has the software dongle built in so you dont even need to email them.. just install RC3 and choose software dongle and it will use your existing licence information

Comment

Working...
                              X