DR Nodes rendering below usual capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR Nodes rendering below usual capacity

Has anyone come across this, when i DR render with RC2 i get four buckets with each of my dual render cores but when i render with RC3 i only get one bucket for each. Also with RC2 the Windows task manager shows it rendering at 100% for the DR nodes but the with RC3 it shows round 30%. Everything renders fine it is just slower, it looks as if it is not seeing the extra cores on the render nodes.
    RC2 is installed with MAX8
    RC3 is installed with MAX9 32bit version.

Cheers
    Renato
    Resolution Digital
    www.resolutiondigital.co.uk

For whatever reason, 3dsmax 9 seems to assume always 1 rendering thread when started in slave mode; we will work around this issue, but for now, you can force V-Ray to use a specified number of threads across all render slaves by opening the maxscript listener (f11) and typing:

renderers.current.system_numThreads=4

This will cause all render slaves to always use 4 rendering threads.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado

Keep up with the brilliant work!!
      Resolution Digital
      www.resolutiondigital.co.uk

Comment

Has this been patched yet?

Have to type this everytime you hit render?
        www.studio2a.co

Comment

nope, run the script once and it will work until you close max, or restart it, or open another file..

Comment

If you want you can save this into a script in scripts/startup , then whenever you open a file that has vray assigned as the renderer the threads will be set to 4, if you save a maxstart file with vray assigned then it will set the threads to 4 everytime you start max.

Code:
            callbacks.addScript #filePostOpenProcess "try(renderers.current.system_numThreads=4)catch()" id:#setnumbthreads
            note: should all be one line
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

An old thread, I know, but do we still need to do this with max2009 64bit and the latest vray (sp2)?

If so, what if some of my machines have 4 cores and some 8 when doing a bb render? Should I just set it at 8?
              Kind Regards,
              Richard Birket
              ----------------------------------->
              http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

This was only necessary for V-Ray 1.5 RC3, all later versions work fine (V-Ray simply ignores the 3ds Max multitheaded setting in DR/backburner mode now).

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                X