Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displace selected faces

Hi,

Can VRayDisplacementMod applied to selected faces? Regardless of what I do, it applies the displacement for the whole object.

I have a soap bar where I want to displace or carve the top of the soap. Like when the name of the soap is carved into the top. So I applied a UVWMapping mod on top of my mesh using planar mode. Then using a PolySelect modifier, I selected the top faces of the soap. On top of this, there's the VRay displace modifier. Yet, I'm getting the displacement on all 6 sides of the soap - as if it would be box mapped.

How can I apply this only to the selected faces (on top)?

Thanks!
    =LES=

Displacement

The first thing I would do is detach the top face. It probably doesn't solve your issue, but it would be a workaround
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks, but that's really not a good solution since at render time you get this ugly disjointed seam where the detached surfaces meet as opposed to the nice, round, smooth surface a soap has.
      =LES=

Comment

You probably will have to use a sub object material.

Copy your soap material, Add the text displacement to the second material in the displacement slot. Set the polys that need to be displaced to Material Set ID 2. In the options for the displacement modifier, Use 3D mapping, and at the bottom check the Use object Mtl.

Comment

Yep, what travistlo said.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Well, what do you know... it works. Thanks!
            =LES=

Comment

Working...
            X