light cache loops / pre-passes never finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light cache loops / pre-passes never finish

i didn't bother searching for this problem - i've never heard anything similar...
    we were running out a fairly large complex scene the last few days at 5000x3750. we were running light map files first (IR / LC), then saving the light maps to use in final render strips using backburner. we've done this procedure numerous times with success on other projects.
    anyway, in this particular scene, it would calculate the light cache in about 4-5 hours, start the first pre-pass for IR, then at some point after a few hours, it would be back starting the light cache calculation again. i let it run overnight and this morning found it was again at the early stages of light cache calculation. i finally killed it but i would estimate that this was the 3rd or 4th time it had started over on the light cache, and never made it more than 10% through the first pre pass for IR.
    to make matters even more mysterious, we rendered a 2nd version of this scene as an alternate option and that one ran off without incident. the only differences were very insignificant in terms of the overall geometry. the lighting and materials were identical in both scenes.

anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong? i am completely stumped. if i were going to try a work around, i would probably start by rendering the light maps at half size using higher quality settings.

thanks for any suggestions.

in this particular scene, it would calculate the light cache in about 4-5 hours, start the first pre-pass for IR, then at some point after a few hours, it would be back starting the light cache calculation again.
    Was this for the first phase (light cache calculations) or second phase (irradiance map calculations)? Are you sure you had the light cache mode to "from file"? Also which V-Ray/3dsmax version?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

vlado,

sorry for the late response. let me clarify - this was not an animation, but a single image. i was attempting to render only the light maps (not the final image). the light cache (first phase) would complete, then the irradiance map passes (second phase) would begin. but the first pre-pass would never go more than about 10% (took a few hours), then it would revert back to starting the light cache calculation. it did this loop at least 3 times before i finally killed the process.
      i am running max8 / vray 1.47.03

thanks

Comment

bump...

vlado, any ideas?

Comment

I've never actually seen anything like this to happen, so it would be best to send me the scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com to investigate it.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

sure. i'll package it up when i have a chance in the next day or so.

thanks for looking into it.

Comment

Working...
            X