raytrace material fast exit at vray proxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raytrace material fast exit at vray proxy

A car dealership i just finished has a model i purchased from turbosquid in it. When i make a vray proxy of it and bring in the proxy, i get an unhandled exception at the irradiance level (3rd pass) and the render stops. Take out the vray proxy and put in the actual mesh and there is no error. This is with Viz 2006, vray build 1.46.15.

Now i migrate to viz 2007 and install vray build 1.5 rc3 and render the same scene with the actual mesh and i get a warning that vray is incompatible with a raytrace material that is part of the car mesh but the scene still renders and i geta final image. if i take out the car mesh and replace it with the vray proxy of the car i get a fast exit with no warning.

I'm guessing that vray should not be doing fast exits. I'm guessing that the appropriate reaction was what i get from build 1.46.15.

What is interesting is that i get no warning or problem with raytrace materials with 1.46.15 but 1.5 rc3 doesn't like raytrace materials but renders anyway.

Any thoughts beyond getting rid of the raytrace material and putting in another compatible material in its place?
    mh

V-Ray has never liked the "Raytrace" material; the warning was added because we had many cases like yours so we though it would be better if the user immediately sees that something is off and what is the exact problem.

In general, it would be best to remove the raytrace material as it will not blend seamlessly with other parts of V-Ray (e.g. it will not reflect its surroundings properly), even if it didn't crash.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado,
      the only problem with build 1.5 is that there is no warning when using a vray proxy...all there is is a fast exit. Had i not tried using the mesh first, i would have been unaware of what the crash was about.

I get the thing about removing raytrace material from the scene. I guess i'm suggesting that a warning would be nice at the vray proxy level rather than a fast exit.

Just a suggestion, that's all.
      thanks.
      mh

Comment

Originally posted by mikeh
        Vlado,
        the only problem with build 1.5 is that there is no warning when using a vray proxy...all there is is a fast exit. Had i not tried using the mesh first, i would have been unaware of what the crash was about.
        Ah, so I didn't understand correctly then. Thanks for the pointer, I'll take a look.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
        X