Problems with Antialiasing filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Antialiasing filter

I have strange problems with Vray 1.5 RC3 under max9. Vray is rendering black halos around soft highlights:

Simple scene, about 20 lights from top, the white dots on the spheres are the highlights. First sphere is my original material from my original scene, the second has ref. glossiness of 0.9 and the right has ref. glossiness of 0.95. The artifacts disappear on glossiness of 0.9 and below.
    With Blackman Filter:

with m-netravali filter:

with VrayLanczos filter (no artifacts):

So everybody be careful about rendering older VRay files with 1.5 RC3. The scene comes from 1.47 and rendered OK.
    And since "Blackman" and "M-Netravali" shouldn't apply edge-enhancing like "Catmull-Rom" the artifacts shouldn't be there, I would say it's a VRay bug.

Scene for everybody to play with:
    http://mitglied.lycos.de/vangel/hpbimg/highlights.max
    Valentin

...forget Warp 9, engine-room please switch to Vray-speed...

I guess it's not a bug, if you check sub-pixel mapping in the color mapping rollout (which I seem to remember was on by default in older vray version), then it renders just fine with any filter.

Comment

both blackman and m-netravali filters have negative parts in their curves.
      do a search on tgoogle, and on the vray forums for those.
      There have been a lot of discussions about these "bugs".
      I second Rivoli, it's correct, not a bug.

Lele

Comment

To avoid this issue, you can try to turn on the "Clamp output" and "Subpixel mapping" options in the Color mapping rollout.

You can observe the same effect sometimes on television, if the TV picture is additionally sharpened.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
          To avoid this issue, you can try to turn on the "Clamp output" and "Subpixel mapping" options in the Color mapping rollout.
          Yes this made it, thanks, Vlado.

Now please fix this, and I won't spend any thoughts about using MentalRay.

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=17165
          Valentin

...forget Warp 9, engine-room please switch to Vray-speed...

Comment

Originally posted by baumgore
            Now please fix this, and I won't spend any thoughts about using MentalRay.

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=17165
            To be honest, I could not reproduce that effect here. If you still have that scene and you can send it over, I'll see what can be done.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X