Displacement roofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement roofing

CAn someone help eith the parameters of displacement for this roofing material.

And what parameters should I use...3d mapping? etc.. etc..

Thanx for your help

Eric Camper
    Studio 3D
    www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Use 2d mapping, drop precision to like 1-2 as its a flat surface.
    And thats not the displacement map your using is it? Ideally it should be black and white, and with all those little details on the tiles you will get some whacky displacement..i.e. Lots of little pits or spikes.

If thats all you have then I suggest hitting it with some PS magic

Comment

For the Displacement image, you want your gradients to follow the shingles, the noise should be shaded by the gradient as well, that way your roughness height follows the shingle height. You may also want to remove some of the shadows on the shingle image. That way the diffuse image doesn't give off the wrong shadow lines.

I attached small sections of your image to show you what i mean, and the effect it gets using Daforce's displacement recommendations. (my PS'ing was very fast, and its not perfect)

Comment

GREAT.....Thanx...Just what I need.....Something for the interns to do!!

Thanx guys
        Eric Camper
        Studio 3D
        www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

Is this close? I just lasso'd around the areas and applied a gradient..

Eric Camper
          Studio 3D
          www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

Yep pretty much. If you do that over teh whole thing and make sure its tileable, then you should be set.

However i would soften that gradient abit.. it doesnt really need to go from solid black to white. Abit more like travistlo's and add a little variation to gradient levels so that some area little higher or lower than the others when displaced.

Comment

if you wanna go picky also overlay a horizontal gradient that goes either dark-bright-dark or bright-dark-bright to add the bending of the shingles...that might be overkill tho....but if you need to plague your interns go ahead :P

Thorsten

Comment

Like daforce said, make sure its tileable, I know that the original is not, I checked when i did the small sample.

For a faster approach than lasso, use autoCAD, make polylines around the shingles (that way you can snap) then take then into PS to fill with your gradient.

Comment

I was pretty sure my bitymap was tileable? Did I miss something...I am gonna redo the displace map and use dark grey to light grey...CAD was definetly better. Thanx all

Eric
                  Eric Camper
                  Studio 3D
                  www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

Working...
                  X