Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light cache crashes ?

Hello,

I have recently started using vray1.5 max9, and a have a problem when tying to do the final render.
    I get all sort of crashes, max just disappears, or it gives me an out of memory message, this happens on different machines all 2 gig of Ram,
    it only happens when I try to do the final render at high res, 4000/3000pixels.
    when it crashes it seams that its only using 1.2 gig out of the 2gig of ram

files are quite big 100-150 meg, however I never had this problem with
    vray 1.47 and always ended up rendering these kind of file sizes , no problem.

it seams to happen at the end of the light cache calculation, this in when it freezes, so I never get the buckets going, I tried switching of DR, that didn't seem to help.

I had to go back to max7 and vray 1.47

Anyone else had this problem ?

Which V-Ray 1.5 is this exactly ?

Best regards,
    nikki Candelero
    .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

LC is always crashing at high render sizes (atleast with me).. I now only use it for test renders and switch over to QMC for large renders
      mdi-digital.com

Comment

Thanks for the response guys,

vray 1.5 RC3

I tried to switch to qmc, qmc, worked for a while , still got random crashes, tried different files, tried different machines,

I just seams that rendering got very unreliable, I don't know if its vray 1.5, max 9 or me

any other suggestions

Thanks

Comment

well, theres a few things you can do..

goto system (vray render settings) change "static" to "Dynamic", your render will be slower, but it will use alot less ram.

Or...render using vrays render "vray raw image" with "render to memory frame buffer" turned OFF and turn on "generate preview". This will also save alot of ram.

good luck!
          mdi-digital.com

Comment

Thank you mdi,

I tried various ways of easing the load on ram including what you suggested, didn't seam to work, when it crashes it seams to have plenty of ram left.

I tried something that seams to work,
            I saved a high quality light cache file (3000) at low res ( 1500 pix) and then used it in the high res render , if this continues to work it looks there is a problem saving the light map file

cheers

Comment

is this an old scene brought over? i have had crashes with them

but new scenes started with 9 work a treat.
              WerT
              www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

werticus,

they are new max9 scenes

Comment

could be posible you have some bad geometry in your scene somwhere.?
                  mdi-digital.com

Comment

mdi, first thing I thought about, its not that, tried different scenes,
                    Everything collapsed,

i just had another crash, both light cache and ir map prerendered

max just disappears of the screen , windows doesn't crash
                    maybe its a max problem,
                    just surprised other people don't have the problem.
                    i have to say that the problem appears when i do the 4000 pix rendering,
                    the thing is i always rendered at 4000 , no problem
                    last year did some at 8000 pixels , no problem with vray 1.47 and max7

it just looks like to be unstable in any type of rendering, qmc-lc, qmc-qmc,ir-lc,

Comment

it could be bad memory...when max next crashes a pop up should apear asking if you want to email autodesk info about the crash, on this pop up is an option to look at the info that would be sent to autodesk, you might get a clue about why its happening
                      mdi-digital.com

Comment

now it crashes without any autodesk window, I have seen that a couple of times

Comment

i don't think its bad memory , because I don't get the crashes in max7-vray1.5

Comment

I mean max7 vray1.47

Comment

Originally posted by mdi
                              LC is always crashing at high render sizes (atleast with me).. I now only use it for test renders and switch over to QMC for large renders
                              did you have the same LC problems in vray 1.47 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X