Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i vaguely remember such a thing. thats still bundled with max? wow

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Ok, i tried the material. If I am correct , the dials, manipulate the settings in the shader. At the moment I use the VRAYFASTSSS blended with an ordinary Vray material to obtain highlights (skin also reflects light), and in most circumstances human skin doesnt exhibit refractive properties that SSS is used to simulate. Only unusual lighting situations engender this glow through effect. So after experimenting with the script, lele, I found it unsuable. It makes the skin 100% transparent but yields a bright orange colour. I usually use a dark red colour for the FASTSSS but if I try this in the skin shader I get a very dark red humanoid. I would post some pics. But they were so awful I coudln't bear to look at them. I turned the muliplier down to a fractional value and the skin was very dark.
      I am using a poser mesh with a painted texture map to test things with. The texture map has the skin elements, but no highlights that the misguided poser people include in their texture maps. Its a pretty neutral skin texmap.
      I found that the speed of the quicksss material is very very slow compared to the blended fast SSS and Vray material.
      I think some realistic presets are what is needed for the skin material in the script suggested to be usable. I don't know what results you have obtained using the script.
      Raj

Comment

It's as usable as the standard vray SSS material, really.
        You'll notice the diffuse component is entirely absent in this one, whereas for skin you'd have quite a lot of it.
        I started it off as a purely SSS component to be embedded into a vrayblend, just to find out later that there are limitations with that material and scripted materials like this one (it renders black).
        I'm no artist, and have little to no patience for the waits a proper skin SSS material requires (on my pc, that is).
        So if Vlado comes up with a decent skin sss tutorial, or preset, i'd be more than happy to incorporate it.
        Just to strengthen the proposition, this was never meant to be a one button solution to skin, it's just an aid to get the VRayMaterial to exhibit SSS, and the user to find himself in the right ballpark.
        That much it does
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Here's what i got on an old scene and model, tweaking the material to include diffusive and specular components (and a little bump).
          2:44 rendertime on an x2-4200, of course with GI and glossy reflections and refractions.
          Attached Files
          Lele
          ----------------------

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

thats looking prety damn nice imo!
            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
            nuno@ene-digital.com
            00351 917593145

Comment

Lele, your gargoyle seems to have a rather ferocious rash!!

Comment

lmao, told ya i ain't an artist.
                It was merely to demonstrate the SSS with a complementary color to the diffuse.
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

That rash is nothing that a little canesten wont fix.

Maybe I should try and make a material for that. I'll leave it you to apply it.

does that SSS material work with RC3 as well as SP1 (I had to go back to RC3 cause I was having memory problems with big renders)?

I'm going on a little vacation but after that I'll put the SSS throught its paces.

Comment

the render's done with sp1
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                    X