No announcement yet.

Vray Light set to INVISIBLE is still visible in reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe you've made such a fuss over this guys Like I said, I was going to add a similar option anyways.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

heheh, i didnt wanted to start a crisis here

I just stepped over that issue and was wondering about it, because I thought that I can handle real/faked specs separately in the light UI...

ok, now lets get back to work guys
      MBA Studios | 3D Images & Visual Effects

Comment

Lol as percy said, it was a really good monday discussion.
        Vlado, make sure the option you'll add is BLUE

Lele

Comment

hehe chris, I assumed the difference in opinion was due to different requirements. I always strive for the most photoreal I can manage, its the clients that shoot it down. Here's an example. I've been doing interior living spaces for several years now. I can do them in my sleep and they are incredibly boring. So this last project, I decided to try and inject some life into the project by having at least one thing in each room have some movement, instead of very static walkthroughs. Almost everything has basically been shot down. I was so crushed by their lack of vision, that I nearly decided to remove the rest as I didn't think 'they' deserved it. lol

This kind of client, wouldn't give a hoot about perfect glossy reflections. They would be damn happy if I gave them specular fakes and simple reflections if I could guarantee them it would get it to them faster. But thats not what our shop is about. So we play the balancing act.

And Vlado, I understand where your coming from. I get the feeling you develop vray from a more technical perspective first, and artistic second. I'm assuming alot, so I apologize if I'm incorrect. One thing that differentiates Brazil from Vray, is that with brazil, they, from the very beginning touted their renderer as being artist driven, with their great materials and such. While Vray was frequently first to the market with all the latest technological 'stuff', which took brazil quite awhile to implement. Which is the better approach? Who knows, but I haven't used brazil in years

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
            hehe chris, I assumed the difference in opinion was due to different requirements. I always strive for the most photoreal I can manage, its the clients that shoot it down. Here's an example. I've been doing interior living spaces for several years now. I can do them in my sleep and they are incredibly boring. So this last project, I decided to try and inject some life into the project by having at least one thing in each room have some movement, instead of very static walkthroughs. Almost everything has basically been shot down. I was so crushed by their lack of vision, that I nearly decided to remove the rest as I didn't think 'they' deserved it. lol
            I hear you... and thank you for confirming why I left Archviz all those years ago. My clients are constantly pushing what is possible, just because they have to be better than the last movie/commercial.

To Vlado... sorry I turned it into a flame war...

Comment

No flaming here! I understand all your points, Chris -- I've had to unlearn most of my faking techniques over the past year as both our equipment and V-Ray has gotten faster. I'm often surprised at how fast you can render even when employing a vraylight through refractive materials vs. making a lampshade itself illuminated.

Unfortunately when short lead times in archviz means cutting out most of the compositing and post work you wish you could afford, it often means simplifying the more complicated effects to reduce the number of errors that you don't see until the job's been on the farm all weekend.

Shaun
              ShaunDon

Comment

Likewise - I'd ideally work in a situation where everything was done properly to give the best possible quality but unfortunately I'm in a small market where things are (rather stupidly) led by clients and agencies who more often than not don't have a fucking breeze what they're talking about. Thus I like having some fall back in case of last minute changes and so on.

Comment

We found a nice workaround for this:

hide the light behind black geometry (eg a plane) and set this geometry to cast shadows off and invisible to camera).

The light still does fake highlights but does not reflect in the raytraced reflections.
                  In my opinion physical correctess is not always good. Nobody would ever want to miss the option to turn "visible to camera" off just because this isn't physical correct

Best regards

Dieter
                  --------
                  visit my developer blog

Comment

nice work around dieter!
                    this comes handy atm!
                    ..and i double that! i am all for physicall correctness but keep the ability to go around things is mandatory! that s vray to me...all those trendy renderers miss right there...in the ability to chose when and where u want it to be correct or not!
                    imho
                    Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                    nuno@ene-digital.com
                    00351 917593145

Comment

Nice one Dieter! I'll remember this for the future.
                      .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

I want to hide too.
                        --Muzzy--

Comment

Ok, I have an area I want lit seperately from the lighting in the scene in general. So I make a vraylight. Make it invisible. 'Include' only the object that I want the light to effect... and I have affect specular off... yet I am still seeing some ghost of the light in the objects surrounding the object I want lit... Surely Excluding objects from a light stops the light appearing in their reflections?

Can anyone explain?
                          Patrick Macdonald
                          Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

This should have been corrected for the service pack, but if you have a scene where it still happens, please email it to me to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                            X