Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with units not entering correctly

Hi all,

This is a weird one... I just installed RC3 and now when i type in 4ft in a units box anywhere, i changes to 3ft automatically . Any feedback regarding this problem would make my life easier.

It's probably something really stupid but I can't figure it out today.

Working with max8 vray1.5RC3.

thanks

You may check the spinner precision in the 3dsmax preferences, try 2 or 3 and see if it works.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

i have tried playing around with the precision spinner set to 2 and it was at 3 and still does that.

weird!

Comment

My coworker is having this exact same problem and we've been unable to figure out what's causing it or how to fix it.

Comment

Have you tried deleting the 3dsmax.ini ? sometimes that can fix weird issues.
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

It does appear to be related to a corrupted 3dsmax.ini... but that opens a whole slew of other things to reset and reconfigure....

Comment

pick your poison
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

man I hate when stuff like that happens, what does deleting the ini file do? What will I have to reconfigure? v-ray and all?

by the way, thanks for the quick replies

Comment

You won't lose any V-Ray settings, plugins or anything you will lose your bitmap paths etc. and I'm not sure what else.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

You'll lose any default max configuration settings you've made...

Default Renderer
                    Units and Grids Setup
                    Colors
                    etc.

Some plugins might also be affected as some of them write to the ini

Comment

Yeah, pretty big pain in the butt...

You might try making a backup of your current ini, then delete the one in the max root. Let max create a new one and then start to copy and paste the sections one at a time from the orig ini until something breaks it again, then you will know what it was.

Code:
                      [SpinnerPrecision]
                      SpinnerSnap=1.000000
                      SpinnerDecimals=3
                      UseSnap=0
                      What does your ini say here?
                      Eric Boer
                      Dev

Comment

My ini file is way too long to paste here. Man is there ever a lot a stuff in there. Right now I'm on a deadline to finish a rush job. I'll try copyig the ini file somewhere else and let max make a new when this job is done.

We all know about those deadlines!

Thanks again for the replies

Comment

I just meant the part of the ini I pasted above, it's the only part that I saw dealt directly with the spinners.

[SpinnerPrecision]
                          Eric Boer
                          Dev

Comment

Man... I thought I had searched all kinds of keywords for this exact thing. We all know how excited we get when we read someone else's misery described identically to our own.

Too bad a solution is not at the tail of this thread. I started another before finding this one.
                            http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...=163871#163871

There are a few things I've been able to isolate in trying to find this gremlin. I'm still squeezing life out of MAX8 and have not seen this behavior in MAX9.

So... any of you VRay ringers out there wanna kick this one around.
                            - Darrin -

Comment

Good to see this thread still alive, I had erased my ini file but the problem is slowly starting to appear again. But now it only happens once in awhile. But soon my nightmare will be over as I have finally convinced my bosses to invest in a complete 64bit render farm with a few more render nodes !! Yessssss!! :P

Comment

Working...
                              X