Help with artifacts and bluring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with artifacts and bluring

If someone could help me with these 2 issues, I would greatly appreciate it.

A. What could be causing the aliasing in this metal reflection/highlight?
    B. Why do maps seen at a glancing angle appear smeared or blurred? And how can I correct this?

Settings... Vray 1.5

Adaptive QMC
    Area Filter 1.5

Irradiance Map High 50/30

Light Cache 1500 Subdivs.
    Sample Size .01
    Scale:Screen

Color Mapping: Exponential 1,1,1

[/img]

The maps problem is usually due to the buttugly pyramid filtering max applies by default. Just turn off Filtering in the bitmaps (set either the blur amount to 0.01 or select "none" for filtering)...or at least use not pyramid mode but area.

The highlight problem looks like reflections >1 with too low sampling. Try setting "clamp output" and "subpixel mapping" in the color mapping dialogue.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

If not that, it could be the smoothing on those faces, you might try clearing the smoothing and see if it changes.
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Thank you. Both recommendations worked perfectly. Send me your bill

Joel

Comment

lol watch what you say to those two...
          Should they send you one, you'd better be ready to afford it

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
            lol watch what you say to those two...
            Should they send you one, you'd better be ready to afford it

Lele
            Some days I wish I could just throw money at the problems to make them go away. I'd be broke in a few days though

Joel

Comment

Heh, glad to help, your thanks is enough :P
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
                The maps problem is usually due to the buttugly pyramid filtering max applies by default. Just turn off Filtering in the bitmaps (set either the blur amount to 0.01 or select "none" for filtering)...or at least use not pyramid mode but area.

Interesting, should we just switch off max default filtering altogether for all maps? If so, through the maps individually or through the render dialog?
                Patrick Macdonald
                Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

Well, yes and no. No filtering at all can lead to a lot of noise. So it stays a case by case decision i'm afraid. Esp with the additional memory requirements of Summed Area

Regards,
                  Thorsten

Comment

yeah, i have no examples to show, but I've had some times when turning off the filtering caused bad/odd/ugly things to happen in the material...sometimes just lowering the amount to .2 or .5 helps.

Comment

When I know I can spare the rendertime, I turn off filtering for all of my maps and crank the AA right up to deal with it. I find it hard going back to filtered maps now, I can spot them a mile off...

Comment

Working...
                      X